Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akhaliq7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

do a calculate table and filter by the last month

I have a fact table and a date table and would like to filter the fact table by using calculate table function and get data for the last month. I have some ideas as how to implement this but I need this to work at time when we are in january and want data for december the month before.

What I have already which will work for every month except january.

Last Month Orders =
CALCULATETABLE(
    'Orders',
    'Date'[Month No] = MONTH(TODAY()) - 1 && 'Date'[Year] = YEAR(TODAY())
)

But if we are in janurary it will show orders for december 2023 which I would not want but instead have orders for december 2022. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mrxiang
Helper II
Helper II

You can use the IF function to determine if the current month is January, if so, subtract 1 from the year, otherwise use the current year. Here is the revised code:

Last Month Orders =
CALCULATETABLE(
'Orders',
'Date'[Month No] = IF(MONTH(TODAY()) = 1, 12, MONTH(TODAY()) - 1) && 'Date'[Year] = IF(MONTH(TODAY()) = 1,  YEAR(TODAY()) - 1, YEAR(TODAY()))
)

This way, no matter what the current month is, you can get the last month's data correctly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mrxiang
Helper II
Helper II

You can use the IF function to determine if the current month is January, if so, subtract 1 from the year, otherwise use the current year. Here is the revised code:

Last Month Orders =
CALCULATETABLE(
'Orders',
'Date'[Month No] = IF(MONTH(TODAY()) = 1, 12, MONTH(TODAY()) - 1) && 'Date'[Year] = IF(MONTH(TODAY()) = 1,  YEAR(TODAY()) - 1, YEAR(TODAY()))
)

This way, no matter what the current month is, you can get the last month's data correctly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.