Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mbbozzuto
Advocate II
Advocate II

Visual calculations only uses fields in the visual?

Hi - I have been testing the new "Visual Calculations" feature for use cases where I need to apply filter conditions on individual measures inside a table.  However, it seems to be limited to only fields/columns present in the visual itself and cannot use other fields in the model.

For example, I need to produce a table with the measure [Revenue] and then immediately next to it display [Revenue] filtered for just one department (the unfiltered [Revenue] measure sums revenue from ALL departments).  There is no other way to generate this result without creating a second custom measure in the model for [Revenue - Specific Department]; I was hoping to accomplish this with a single measure using visual calculations and applying the filter condition for the one department on the [Revenue] measure as the second column in a visual calculation.

But this does not seem possible because the [Department] field needs to actually be incorporated into the visual for it to be used; this results in a change to the table itself slicing by [Department] which was not the result I need.

Is there any way in visual calculations to use columns not present in the visual?  And if not, is that on the roadmap?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is there any way in visual calculations to use columns not present in the visual?  And if not, is that on the roadmap?

No, and no.  That's the whole point of the Visual Calculations, to NOT reach back into the data model. The only data source is the visual's DAX query.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is there any way in visual calculations to use columns not present in the visual?  And if not, is that on the roadmap?

No, and no.  That's the whole point of the Visual Calculations, to NOT reach back into the data model. The only data source is the visual's DAX query.

Got it, thanks for the feedback.

I have been looking for ways to apply filters on individual measures in visuals to modify the output of that  one measure (rather than modifying all the measures in a visual as Power BI's "Apply filter to visual" does).  Basically, a fourth option for filtering (Filter on visual measure) in addition to the existing 3 (Filter on All Pages, Filter on this Page, Filter on this Visual).

The alternative is to add the specialized measure back into the source semantic model; or at a minimum, add the measure in the report-only that is while connected to the semantic model.

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

Good suggestion.  Idea was already recently submitted - please vote if you think this is a good idea as well.

https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=5d932695-36ec-ee11-a747-00224850a62f

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors