Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ifzalahmed

Hierarchal level Calculation - Different DAX for Each Level

Hello,

I am new Power BI and not really versed with DAX formula. I am facing a small problem. I have phrased my question in google in many ways but maybe I couldn't express what I want. 

so let me explain this with an example ; 

I have a table where I want to calculate the difference in the cost with last year at each product level but at the category level, I don't want to follow the same formula instead I want in category level to sum the differences calculated at each product level in previous steps.

so for Prod A, B & C, Cost Variance is : (Qty TY * Cost TY) - (Qty LY - Cost LY )

while at category level the cost variance is the sum of Variances of A,B, & C.

This Year QtyThis YearCost per UnitThis Year QtyThis YearCost per UnitCost Variance  
Cat 1                   (12.00)  
Prod A                  3.00              2.00                  2.00               1.50                 (3.00)  
Prod B                  4.00              1.50                  3.00               2.00                        -    
Prod C                  6.00              3.50                  4.00               3.00                 (9.00)  
Cat 2                     11.50  
Prod D                  3.00              1.70                  5.00               1.20                   0.90  
Prod E                  2.00              2.50                  6.00               2.60                 10.60  

2 REPLIES 2
ifzalahmed

Thank you, Amit. unfortunately, it didn't work for me. let me explain what I want from this measure.
My measure has two steps:

1. On Product Level I want to return zero if the qty of product in previous month is zero and if its qty is not zero then I want to calculate the difference in Unit Cost ( current month - previous month ) and multiply it by the current month qty.

2. secondly on Category Level  I want to just sum up the cost difference that is calculated for each product in the same category in the previous step.

and Ultimatly I want to calculate Cost Variance per Product and per-category at each level.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ifzalahmed , You need isinscope plus x function and values

Assuming these are measures

[Qty TY] , [Cost TY] , [Qty LY] , [Cost LY]

Example of sumx

sumx(values(Table[Category]), ([Qty TY] * [Cost TY]) - ([Qty LY] - [Cost LY] ))

For insinscope , refer https://www.kasperonbi.com/use-isinscope-to-get-the-right-hierarchy-level-in-dax/

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors