In this support article, we cover the following topics:
- How to change private message settings
- What are macros?
- How do I create a macro?
- How to use macros when posting
- How to use macros in private messages
To access the settings for the Private Messages & Macros on your community profile, you will need to:
- Sign into the community.
- Click My settings.
How to enable your private messages
1. Select the Preferences tab.
2. Click on the Private Messenger tab, which will show your Private Messenger Settings.
If you are not receiving private messages, make sure the box is checked to turn on your private messages.
What are macros?
Macros can be used to easily insert prewritten text that is frequently used (“boilerplate text”) into your messages. Having macros set up can save you a lot of time.
How do I create a macro?
You should still be signed in and in your settings. Then click on the Macros tab:
- Type a name for the first macro in the Macro 1 Title box. Make the name short, but memorable. (You'll choose it by name from a menu later).
- Type the text you want to be able to paste in the Macro 1 box. You can use HTML tags in your macro.
3. Enter names and text for your other macros.
4. Click Save.
How to use macros when posting
- Go to a Post page.
The Macros menu is on the right side of the Post page toolbar. You can use a macro in any sort of post: a message, a reply, a comment, an idea, you name it.
2. Click in the Subject or Body area where you want to paste the macro text.
3. Open the Macros menus and choose the macro you want. The text of your macro appears wherever your cursor is located.
How to use macros in private messages
You can also use macros in private messages just as you can when composing a post elsewhere in the community. Once you have defined a macro in your profile, you can select it from the drop-down list that appears at the top, right-hand side of the editor.