Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shahidalaila23
Frequent Visitor

view shared power bi dashboard without pro license

Hi all, 

I have enquries on power BI dashboard, 

My company is a small organization below 50 person, and for now I'm the one incharge of publishing sales report with all staff, everyone in my company have a basic power bi license. 

1) I'm considering on buying power BI pro license for one user only *which is me since I'll be sending/sharing sales report daily with everyone. For now I tested for pro trial to shared power bi report to everyone. When I shared a dashboard, other user can request for access but after I granted access to them, they can view the report but there's a message saying 60 days power bi pro  trial. Is there a way for me to keep sharing dashboard for other staff to atleast view the dashboard without buying pro license? 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

As per pricing model users to consume the report should have Power BI pro or you have to use Premium Capacity

Your organization has only 50 so it would be better to go for Power BI Pro for all, rather getting Premium Capacity

Pro for All user (50*9.99 = 499.5$/Month)
Power BI Premium  s4995$/Month

Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI

If your report not contain any sensitive data, you can consider to use publish to web feature to share.

Publish to web from Power BI this will not require Power BI Pro but anyone with the link will be able to see the report.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
sharon_Miller
Regular Visitor

The workspace must be promoted to Premium - then all can view ....

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

As per pricing model users to consume the report should have Power BI pro or you have to use Premium Capacity

Your organization has only 50 so it would be better to go for Power BI Pro for all, rather getting Premium Capacity

Pro for All user (50*9.99 = 499.5$/Month)
Power BI Premium  s4995$/Month

Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI

If your report not contain any sensitive data, you can consider to use publish to web feature to share.

Publish to web from Power BI this will not require Power BI Pro but anyone with the link will be able to see the report.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Hold on, I thought you could have your Power BI free license users still be able to access a reporting workspace that was published by a Pro license user, as long as the free license users are added to the workspace as the Viewer role. Is that no longer accurate?? I thought you only needed the Pro license to be able to modify and publish reports.

This was always my understanding, too... now I'm learning that PowerBI reports I deeveloped using my Pro license will be unviewable!  My company is really not large enough to support the cost of Premium workspace, so does that mean everybody has to have a Pro license?  That also seems cost-prohibitive.

Hi @JustSayJoe 

A Pro licence user can modify and publish reports as you say. But then it depends where they publish them to that makes the difference in sharing.

If they publish to "My Workspace" or a Pro Workspace they can only share the content with Pro licence users. If they publish to a Workspace that is backed by a Premium Capacity licence they can share the content with user who have a Free licence, or the Free licence users can be added as Viewers to the Premium Capacity Workspace. It's the workspace type that determines who can view the content. Free users can only view content on Premium Capacity workspaces.

Hope this helps

Stuart 

Hi Stuart. Microsoft must have changed that this month, because for over a year now I've had Power BI Free license users viewing my Pro published workspace. That all changed this month.

Also, to clarify one point of your response, when you say Free license users can only view content on Premium Capacity workspaces, does that include a workspace that's published with a Premium Per User license, or does it have to be a Premium Capacity license strictly? Microsoft really needs to simplify their licensing and PBi access. Thanks for your reply.

Hi @JustSayJoe 

It's always been the case that Free licences can't view Reports shared in Pro workpaces. Maybe your users have been getting the "Pro Trial" licence offered free to Free licence holders for 60 days when they first access Pro content.

That's the thing with Premium Per User (PPU) licences, PPU workspaces are only accessible by PPU licence holders, not Pro or Free.

It's only Premium Per Capacity workspaces that allow free licence access. PPU and Pro don't.

Hope this helps

Stuart

There is some conflicting info online about the Office 365 package.  If you are on Office 365, that includes the Power BI Pro License.  Kind of.  Its very unclear is that is true or not.  I read that sometimes that is true and sometimes not based on exactly what the company signed up for.  If you have office 365, you may be able to simply add the users to the license as its already included.  You need to check.  Odds are, if its included with Office 365, nobody knows this and they end up buying a duplicate license.  

Hi @steveohlhaber 

Only the Office365 E5 licence includes a Power BI licence, all other Office 365 licences do not. In that case Power BI Pro is an add-on, chargeable licence.

hope this helps 

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors