Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

racundra

sharing power bi reports with external users

Hi everyone

I am very much a beginner to this. I have done a bit of reading around but hoped someone would be able to give me a clear answer to something I don't really understand (yet)...

I am, at the moment, just at the PowerBI Pro stage of things.

I chair a team of people from across a number of educational organisations and am in the process of setting up a SharePoint site to enable us to collaborate on a particular project. I want to display performance summary data using PowerBI and allow my colleagues to view it.

Can I do this with just a PowerBI Pro licence? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Noel

7 REPLIES 7
A_kh

Old thread but I'm sure someone else is looking for this information too so posting this here in case it helps anyone. I did not find other workarounds to sharing reports or dashboards directly with non-pro/free users, but there's a few other ways, like sharing your report indirectly using digital signage software – note, this doesn't have to be displayed on a physical info screen, you can just use stare a secure link to your digital signage feed with your colleagues. Here's more on this approach: https://www.valota.live/ways-to-share-power-bi-reports-dashboards-with-external-or-free-users/

natasjamekes
Helper II
Helper II

Hi Noel, 

It's a long time ago you posted this topic but still, I want to recommend Webdahsboard. With Webdashboard you can easily share your Power BI reports and dashboards, with an intern and external users. All you need is an e-mail address.

You can try Webdashboard for 30 days and if you need any help, they will quickly react. It's available at the Microsoft App Source and for more information, you can visit the website: www.webdashboard.com 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked at Binokula Noel? It is an app that lets you share Power BI reports with users outside your own organization (they don't need any Power BI licence). It is available in Microsoft App Source, or at binokula.com.

Now updated to Binokula Instant - secure app directly deployable via Microsoft Appsource and Azure Marketplace.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @racundra

Yes, with a pro account, You, the owner of the Power BI content, can share the content with external users.

Please refer to the following article

share content with users using their personal email accounts, making it easier to share data with people outside of your organization 

Share a dashboard or report with people outside your organization

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie

Thank you for your reply.

Do the 'other users' need to be powerbi pro users?

Thanks

Noel

Hi Noel, Yes the other users would need "Pro License" in your scenario. The other option is to publish the report into a Premium Workspace. Once you publish it to the premium workspace you can even embed the power bi report into sharepoint. With premium workspace, only developers such as you and maybe a service account (if embedding externally) would need Pro License. Your other users would not need one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors