Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lim_hl
Frequent Visitor

"Replace this dataset"

Hi,

I'm a newbie in PBI.

When I hit "publish" with my report, I encountered this message which

I have no clue what action I need to do to clear this up.

Have anyone encountered this and what did you do to resolve it.

thank you very much in advance.

lim_hl_0-1637394692356.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @lim_hl 

This is a normal message to get in Power BI. It is because you have already published your Report "Month Grp Sales01" to the Power BI service. When you publish a report it gets split into a Dataset (the data element) and a Report (The visualisations of the data in the Dataset). When you re-publish the Report thises two elements get overwritten and this message is just to tell you that will happen. Its usual to click "Replace" and carry on, but if you don't want to replace the published data and report you get the option to cancel.

Once you have a Dataset in Power BI Service  you can connect to it with Power BI Desktop (select "Power BI Datasets" off the main menu) and create a new report based on the data in the Dataset, or in Power BI Service create new Report on the Dataset. With multiple reports from one Dataset, when you refresh the Dataset all the Reports get updates, so it's an efficient way of having many Reports from one set of data.

See :Separate reports from models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @lim_hl 

This is a normal message to get in Power BI. It is because you have already published your Report "Month Grp Sales01" to the Power BI service. When you publish a report it gets split into a Dataset (the data element) and a Report (The visualisations of the data in the Dataset). When you re-publish the Report thises two elements get overwritten and this message is just to tell you that will happen. Its usual to click "Replace" and carry on, but if you don't want to replace the published data and report you get the option to cancel.

Once you have a Dataset in Power BI Service  you can connect to it with Power BI Desktop (select "Power BI Datasets" off the main menu) and create a new report based on the data in the Dataset, or in Power BI Service create new Report on the Dataset. With multiple reports from one Dataset, when you refresh the Dataset all the Reports get updates, so it's an efficient way of having many Reports from one set of data.

See :Separate reports from models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart  

Thank you so much!! 🙏

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors