Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Tamerlaaane
Frequent Visitor

"From external orgs" tab missing for some (not all) external users

Hi,

I am sharing a workspace with all related content to external users from 2 organisations. They have all been invited with the same rights/permissions as guest users to my Azure Active Directory, and have been added with the same role to the power bi workspace.

People from org 1 can all see the related content when they log in through the "from external orgs" tab. But people from org 2 cannot see this tab, and I am totally clueless why. They are in the same cloud (azure global), and as far as i know that is the only thing that could be an issue. When i share a link to a report they can access the content just fine.

Are there any settings they can check in their own organisation settings (in azure)? Or can the problem lie with the type of power bi license perhaps?

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ,  @Tamerlaaane 

According to your description, you said that "from external orgs" tab missing .

As seaeched , Power BI users who are guest users in any other tenant will now see a new tab on their home page (in their home tenant) called From external orgs.

And you said that you have invited them as guest user , you can try to check the user's status if Accepted .

And you can also give the user this content's url to view if it has some problem.

You can see if there is a limitation for this:
Power BI in-place dataset sharing with guest users in external organizations(preview) - Power BI | M...

And for more information, you can refer to :
Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Introducing Cross-tenant Power BI Dataset Sharing | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

If the tab "From external orgs" still missing for all the users that already been invited to some external tenants and been shared datasets, this may due to the "Private link" feature is enabled for the user's tenant, based on my query internal, this may also lead to the missing of the tab "From external orgs" :

Private endpoints for secure access to Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ,  @Tamerlaaane 

According to your description, you said that "from external orgs" tab missing .

As seaeched , Power BI users who are guest users in any other tenant will now see a new tab on their home page (in their home tenant) called From external orgs.

And you said that you have invited them as guest user , you can try to check the user's status if Accepted .

And you can also give the user this content's url to view if it has some problem.

You can see if there is a limitation for this:
Power BI in-place dataset sharing with guest users in external organizations(preview) - Power BI | M...

And for more information, you can refer to :
Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Introducing Cross-tenant Power BI Dataset Sharing | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

If the tab "From external orgs" still missing for all the users that already been invited to some external tenants and been shared datasets, this may due to the "Private link" feature is enabled for the user's tenant, based on my query internal, this may also lead to the missing of the tab "From external orgs" :

Private endpoints for secure access to Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi v-yueyunzh-msft,

Thanks for the response! The users did Accept the invite, and since people from another tenant can see the "external orgs" tab, the "Private Links" setting might be the culprit here. I will have to check with their admin, so it can take a while before I can confirm this as the Solution. Thanks for now!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors