Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dba82

pbi dataset limit

I read on the PBI site that 'there is a 1GB limit, per dataset, that is imported into [the] Power BI' service.

Does that mean a SQL Server db that has a data-file greater than 1GB cannot be imported/hosted on the PBI CLOUD?

If not, what exactly does that mean with respect to the SQL Server data/log files?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi...

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dba82 The size limitation is the size of the PBIX file. This is based on the all of the components within the file. Visuals, model, etc. The largest part of this will be the data, but it isn't a direct correlation to what you see in your database because it will be compressed significantly in the model.

All you need to worry about is the PBIX file size, that is what equates to the dataset in the service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@dba82 The size limitation is the size of the PBIX file. This is based on the all of the components within the file. Visuals, model, etc. The largest part of this will be the data, but it isn't a direct correlation to what you see in your database because it will be compressed significantly in the model.

All you need to worry about is the PBIX file size, that is what equates to the dataset in the service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors