Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mim
Advocate V
Advocate V

make apps visible to entire organization ?

Hello

is it possible to make  an app  visible to an entire organization, but as read only, so users can see that there is an app, but they need to ask the app creator to have access.

Cheers

Mim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi

Do you mean:
An app is visible in app market, everyone of the organization can see it but can’t get it unless the app creator give access to them?
Or, the entire organization can get this app but only read and can’t edit it, unless the app creator give access to them so they can edit it?
For condition 1, it is not possible because if a user has no access to getting an app he will not see it in market place.
For condition 2,
set the app workspace in which you create an app and publish it as “members can only view Power BI context”, then give access to entire organization while publishing an app, the user can get the app but only read it.
If someone ask for a permission to edit it, you can add him as a member of the app workspace and set Privacy of this app workspace as “members can edit Power BI context”.
See more detailed here

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi

Do you mean:
An app is visible in app market, everyone of the organization can see it but can’t get it unless the app creator give access to them?
Or, the entire organization can get this app but only read and can’t edit it, unless the app creator give access to them so they can edit it?
For condition 1, it is not possible because if a user has no access to getting an app he will not see it in market place.
For condition 2,
set the app workspace in which you create an app and publish it as “members can only view Power BI context”, then give access to entire organization while publishing an app, the user can get the app but only read it.
If someone ask for a permission to edit it, you can add him as a member of the app workspace and set Privacy of this app workspace as “members can edit Power BI context”.
See more detailed here

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an additional question on this? How does Power BI define the entire organization?

Hi there

This means the entire Azure Active Directory Tenant list of users in your organization.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

thank you guys sorry for not being clear.

yes, I am talking option 1, my idea a user login in  and see a lot of apps, and then when he like something, he ask for access.

it is more like an app store.

Cheers

Mim

Hi there,

Yes there is an option when you click on Apps to search for Apps that have been deployed. And from there the user can select to Get it Now

Power BI Blog

Hardik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi

What I suggest happens in an organization is to use the App mechanism to share content with users.

In doing it in this way the users get used to always looking in the Apps area for other reports and dashboards. This then allows there to be a single place to look for content.

Using the App Workspace and Apps also allows there to be an area where the Reports and Dashboards can first be developed and signed off before updating the App and sending it to the users.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors