Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MP_123
Employee
Employee

how to set a gateway

hi all,

i want to set a gateway to my reports and actually i don't really understand from the power bi site how to do it.

now my reports are connected with the default gateway - which is my machine

i want to set it to a gateway since my computer doesn't online all the time, etc..

can someone explain me how to do it? where to i download the enterperise gateway?

my data source is Azure sql datawarhouse

thanks!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi MP_123,

Gateway is used to connect the Data source that hosted locally.

For the Databases in the cloud, a gateway is not required. The only thing that should be done here is to configure the connection, specify the database address and the credentials, check:

Exploring Azure SQL Data Warehouse with Power BI

And:

Use Power BI with SQL Data Warehouse

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

View solution in original post

@MP_123 You don't need a gateway when importing. You would just need to set up a schedule for refresh. Check out this page for all the refresh scenerios.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
cosborn1231
Resolver I
Resolver I

@v-micsh-msft

hi, thanks!

i understand that gateway is not required, but you mean to directQuery only right? 

how it should be implemented with import data?

i'm using personal gateway and it works fine for now, but if my computer is off, then the refresh won't happen, right?

thanks!

@MP_123 You don't need a gateway when importing. You would just need to set up a schedule for refresh. Check out this page for all the refresh scenerios.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

thanks!

@Seth_C_Bauer

v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi MP_123,

Gateway is used to connect the Data source that hosted locally.

For the Databases in the cloud, a gateway is not required. The only thing that should be done here is to configure the connection, specify the database address and the credentials, check:

Exploring Azure SQL Data Warehouse with Power BI

And:

Use Power BI with SQL Data Warehouse

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Please check this link for connectivity to Azure SQL Database.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-azure-and-power-bi/

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors