Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TrevorCraig
Frequent Visitor

export to xlsx / underlying data

Hi,

Is there any documentation on this new bit of functionality? We're slightly concerned that users will be able to export fields from the underlying dataset we're not showing on the report. What is exported from visuals doesn't seem to pick up all the dataset fields anyway and I can't find anywhere that defines what is/isn't exportable in datasets.

Thanks, keep up the good work! 😄

4 REPLIES 4

If your data is in the data model, you should assume that the user can get to the data.  There are 2 things

1.  Any visual can export the underlying summarised data to render the visual (I guess you know that).

2.  There is an "Analyze in Excel" feature that basically allows anyone to get to all the data.  There is a config option to turn off Analyze in Excel however this is currently at the Tennant level - it is either on or off for everyone and for every report.  There are requests in to change this setting to be at the report level however there is no clarity if or when this may be changed.

Read Ken's blog on this topic from a couple of weeks ago

http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2016/11/07/can-users-see-my-raw-data-in-power-bi/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks Matt, useful information. I think we've got analyze in excel turned off but I'm going to double check! We've started putting HR data into power bi and its going to be a massive pain creating almost identical data models as a way of having granularity on what certain groups can see in what is basically the same report but with some fields hidden for certain users. The export to excel also appears to be inconsistent on what columns you get from the data table compared to the export to csv. I'll wait and see how it pans out, if enough users have concerns I'm sure MS will look to implement so ways to better manage these issues. 

Hi,

I've also observed that the column sequence is different between an .xlsx and a .csv export.  I would think my columns should be the same as in the visual table?

Also--does anyone know how to change the sequence of the columns in the export when the user does not do a .csv?

Thanks!

Michael

Hello:

Are there any updates, additional information to having the default column sequence appear what is on the visual?

Thank you,

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors