Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pikachu-Power
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

content distribution with apps

Hi all,

I have questions to the following content distribution model:

dc.png

1. App Workspace is here one of the deparments right? The Data modeler / report designer could create reports and publish it in the, for example, Marketing, Sales or Finance App Workspace?

2. What is the job of the workspace admins & members? Are they a part of a department? Couldn't be the Data modeler / report designer the workspace admin at the same time?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

So, this tends to be a matter of opinion. Apps were really created in order to provide users kind of a nicer interface for accessing multiple dashboards and reports. It tends to be a nicer interface for users to get familiar with but it also comes with certain limitations. I am a fan of getting users familiar with the workspace interface versus just apps, especially for your power users. 

But, this is all a matter of opinion and what your needs are. Anything that can be done in an App can be done in a Workspace, but the opposite is not true. It is just going to depend. 

One of the big, in my opinion, mistakes that people do when going down the App route and I mention it because I have seen it multiple times is that people create a dataset, create a single report and then publish this out to a workspace and then as an App.  Then, people create a second, nearly identical dataset, create a report from this out to a second workspace and then a second App. And so on, and so on. This tends to lead to governance issues. For example, in my opinion, it tends to be better to create a dataset that can service multiple reports so that you have 1 dataset that services maybe 5, 10 or 15 different reports. 

Anyway, there are tons of different ways of doing this. The specifics for your situation only you are going to know so hard to provide recommendations.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pikachu-Power 

Based on the elaboration from @Greg_Deckler ,you can also refer to the official document:

Roles in the workspaces:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspaces 

With Power BI apps, you can create collections of dashboards and reports and publish these collections as apps to your whole organization or to specific people or groups. For you as a report creator or admin, apps make it easier to manage permissions on these collections.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-distribute-apps 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pikachu-Power 

Based on the elaboration from @Greg_Deckler ,you can also refer to the official document:

Roles in the workspaces:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspaces 

With Power BI apps, you can create collections of dashboards and reports and publish these collections as apps to your whole organization or to specific people or groups. For you as a report creator or admin, apps make it easier to manage permissions on these collections.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-distribute-apps 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

1. Yes, a single report builder could have access to multiple workspaces and publish content to all of them.

2. Depends on your organization. Many times these people are controlling security access to data, commenting on reports, providing content, etc. Yes, your report builder could fulfill this role.

Latest book!:

Ok thanks for confirm my thoughts 🙂

So members of a department should only use apps? Since we have apps does it make sense to have members of a department in a workspace? For example with only view rights. So it would be possible to share everything without using apps? Does someone see advantage of this concept?

So, this tends to be a matter of opinion. Apps were really created in order to provide users kind of a nicer interface for accessing multiple dashboards and reports. It tends to be a nicer interface for users to get familiar with but it also comes with certain limitations. I am a fan of getting users familiar with the workspace interface versus just apps, especially for your power users. 

But, this is all a matter of opinion and what your needs are. Anything that can be done in an App can be done in a Workspace, but the opposite is not true. It is just going to depend. 

One of the big, in my opinion, mistakes that people do when going down the App route and I mention it because I have seen it multiple times is that people create a dataset, create a single report and then publish this out to a workspace and then as an App.  Then, people create a second, nearly identical dataset, create a report from this out to a second workspace and then a second App. And so on, and so on. This tends to lead to governance issues. For example, in my opinion, it tends to be better to create a dataset that can service multiple reports so that you have 1 dataset that services maybe 5, 10 or 15 different reports. 

Anyway, there are tons of different ways of doing this. The specifics for your situation only you are going to know so hard to provide recommendations.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors