Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Frankcf
Frequent Visitor

changing how a total is calculated

i have created a power bi report using a table layout. i am reporting to the # of cases using the production orders as a base.

the following example displays the issue that i am having. the production order contains many lines of instructions, but the total order is for 100 cases.  but as you can see the report displays 100 per production order line. i would like the report to report the total # of cases based on the production order # and the not the individual lines listed in the production order. any help would be appreciated. Regards Frank

bi question.jpg 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Frankcf,

From the image you posted, I suspect you are using Matrix, there is total Row available to show the total value at the bottom of each Row fields.

19.PNG

Currently it is not available to display the totals in the same row under Matrix Visual in Power BI.

Table and Matrix Visuals have their own Total calculate functions, and we could also create measure or calculate column to compute the total we want.

To use the total within the visual, we need enable the show total under Format part of the visual. And the total here would have their own limitation.

For detailed information based on Table and Matrix, please check:

How to Use Tables and Matrixes

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Frankcf
Frequent Visitor

thanks for you thoughts, i will look into the setups and the visulations

Hi Frankcf,

From the image you posted, I suspect you are using Matrix, there is total Row available to show the total value at the bottom of each Row fields.

19.PNG

Currently it is not available to display the totals in the same row under Matrix Visual in Power BI.

Table and Matrix Visuals have their own Total calculate functions, and we could also create measure or calculate column to compute the total we want.

To use the total within the visual, we need enable the show total under Format part of the visual. And the total here would have their own limitation.

For detailed information based on Table and Matrix, please check:

How to Use Tables and Matrixes

Regards

cosborn1231
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Frankcf,

Not knowing if every instruction has a value of 100 in the Case column in the base table or not this may not work.

I would frist check the tables visualization pane,  within the values section for Case and see if the column has been set to sum or something strange and try exploring setting it to do not summarize or count.

Also, I would suggest changing the visualization to a matrix table so you can expose the totals per product order number.

Hope this helps to a solution,

Christian

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors