Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

GingerFerris

Your data gateway is offline or couldn't be reached.

Hi

We run an on-premises data gateway service installed on an AWS EC2 instance (Version: 3000.218.9 (April 2024)).

Our models will refresh fine for a couple of days and then seemingly without any pattern they will fail to refresh. This is a realtively recent thing; it was stable and started to happen more frequently from 11th March 2024. I updated the gateway as most solutions suggested this as a first step at solving, however, it keeps failing. Our models seem to be well within size and refresh time thresholds.

There is nothing logged in the Windows Event Viewer for the service. There are no error messages that I can find in the PowerBi web app. There is nothing in AWS to suggest that the machine was inaccessible during the refresh period. Some of the model refreshes have specific failure messages and have been failing for a while (but not all). Would this cause the gateway to fail? Could anyone let me know which logs to look in to find the source of the problem?

There is a screen shot of the refresh history below and the error message.

Thanks

Rich

GingerFerris_0-1716215459649.png

Processing error:Your data gateway is offline or could not be reached. Ensure the computer running the gateway is on during the refresh period.
Cluster URI:WABI-UK-SOUTH-C-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:7744a00f-e50f-42ca-b054-fd0f048a3312
Request ID:6c316854-27fa-4734-a1b1-28dddfcea4b2
Time:2024-05-18 09:04:39Z
1 REPLY 1
v-jtian-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello,@GingerFerris .
I am glad to help you.

According to your description, your company's local data gateway installed on AWS EC2 has been experiencing frequent offline status lately, which prevents refreshes from materializing properly.

You have tried to update the version of the gateway in a timely manner, which is very essential, though it did not improve the situation.

Below I am sharing a couple of suggestions that I hope will help you.
1.Check the gateway logs.

Through the local gateway app, enable the extra log function to export the gateway logs, please check these logs to keep abreast of the cause of the error when the refresh fails, the gateway logs provide more information than the failure messages on the power BI service.
Here is the official documentation for the local gateway application
URL: Use the on-premises data gateway app | Microsoft Learn

vjtianmsft_1-1716258003662.png

2.You mentioned that the local gateway is hosted on an AWS EC2 instance, so the stability of AWS EC2 may affect the stability of the gateway connection. Please check the configuration of AWS EC2 to ensure that it is set up correctly and that sufficient resources are provided.

If the performance of the EC2 instance hosting the gateway; insufficient resources (CPU, memory) may cause the gateway to fail intermittently.
3.Ensure that the gateway itself is configured correctly and is not blocked by firewalls or network security groups.

This is a possible reason. Although your refresh was performed successfully before, please check it as well.
4.Try to use gateway clustering(If conditions support it), you could configure gateway clustering for the gateways you use. You can create multiple gateway instances and combine them into a cluster. This can improve the reliability and fault tolerance of your network because if one gateway has a problem, the others can still continue to work, thus reducing the overall system failure rate.
If you want to try the gateway clustering approach, make sure that the other gateway members are also similarly installed in the cloud
5. Could you please check the time slots of your refresh plan, as you said the problem is occurring sometimes, it may be related to the lack of resources provided by AWS EC2, if you can find out the time slots where the problem occurs frequently, and focus on analyzing the resources during that time slot, to see if it's due to the lack of resources in the AWS EC2 cloud that is causing the unstable connection to the gateway

You could troubleshoot the problem in these areas, and if the problem persists, please provide more details or log screenshots to assist you further.

I hope my suggestions give you good ideas, if you have any more questions, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Carson Jian,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors