Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

thorpyUK10

Working API Load Model Wont authenticate in online

Hi All,

I have a working model that fetches data from an API using an API key embedded in the model.

The models works fine & pulls the data through. My issue is that the web part of my datasource wont authenticate online (under 'data source credentials'.

It seems to be that because it wont pass the key in the basic auth check online, it will not allow me to refresh (and if I ask it to ignore the auth check, it fails anyway)

I've tried the 'RelativePath' hack, but because my URL (https://api-reputation.com/v3/reviews) doesn't seem to have any valid non-encrypted parts, i can't get that to work either.

Please help me find another way around it!

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thorpyUK10 ,

Ensure that the API you're trying to connect to supports the authentication method you're attempting to use. 

Set up your Web connection - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

If your API requires a specific type of authentication (e.g., API Key), using Basic Auth might not be the appropriate method.

If your API requires an API key for authentication and does not support Basic Auth, you might need to pass the API key through custom headers. 

If it does not help, pleasee provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thorpyUK10 ,

Ensure that the API you're trying to connect to supports the authentication method you're attempting to use. 

Set up your Web connection - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

If your API requires a specific type of authentication (e.g., API Key), using Basic Auth might not be the appropriate method.

If your API requires an API key for authentication and does not support Basic Auth, you might need to pass the API key through custom headers. 

If it does not help, pleasee provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Rongtie, thanks for tracking back. The model was working file & refreshing overnight every night. However, the previous admin is leaving, so I 'took over' the model online - which wiped all the credentials. I've been told it's simply 'basic' and 'none' for privacy, but it's no longer allowing me to refresh. The model itself has the custom headers built in, but I cannot pass customer headers through the online authentication can I?

Update - it was the privacy level... it needed to be set to 'Organisational'

thorpyUK10

Can anyone help?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors