Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Within the gateway for a given data resource if I use windows auth upn's sometimes fail

So it seems like there may be a upn length limitation within the gateway/datasource, AD allows 1024 characters for the upn, I'm using about 30 characters.  If I use a short upn it works if longer not sure what lenght it fails.  when I look at the error details it shows the upn converted to a samaccountname.  Is this a known issue that I missed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol the issue is not within the gateway process its a limitation of sql as far as I can tell, I don't think sql supports upn's.  I never really paid attention to what sql does when you enter a upn for as a login id, it converts it to a samaccountname by looking up the name in AD, as far as I can tell, the issue being my accounts names may not be unique given the limitations of samaccountname character length.  I think azure sql supports true upns.  I have alternative methods to accomplish what I need but the names won't be as self describing.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol the issue is not within the gateway process its a limitation of sql as far as I can tell, I don't think sql supports upn's.  I never really paid attention to what sql does when you enter a upn for as a login id, it converts it to a samaccountname by looking up the name in AD, as far as I can tell, the issue being my accounts names may not be unique given the limitations of samaccountname character length.  I think azure sql supports true upns.  I have alternative methods to accomplish what I need but the names won't be as self describing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors