Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gopaltarakad
Frequent Visitor

Why don't visuals in dashboards update when the corresponding graphs are changed in the report?

I have to unpin and repin any changes that I make. Makes for very unproductive use of time. Am I doing something wrong here? Or should any formatting changes in the graphs in the reports update automatically in the dashboards?TIA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@gopaltarakad Basically a tile in dashboard is a snapshot of your data. So it is by design that if you have pinned a column chart as a tile in dashboard and then in report you change that column chart to pie chart, dashboard will still have column chart. You will see data being updated in column chart but it will stay as you've originally pinned. If you want any changes in report to be reflected in dashboard as well then instead of pinning individual tiles use 'Pin Live Page' option.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@gopaltarakad

If the original visualization used to create the tile changes, the tile doesn't change.  For example, if you pinned a line chart from a report and then you change the line chart to a bar chart, the dashboard tile continues to show a line chart. The data refreshes, but the visualization type does not.

You can take a look at this document, it should be helpful.

Best Regards,

Herbert

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I agree with Herbert. The data itself will auto update in the tiles. But if you change the chart type, then you do have to repin it.

Dan
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@gopaltarakad Basically a tile in dashboard is a snapshot of your data. So it is by design that if you have pinned a column chart as a tile in dashboard and then in report you change that column chart to pie chart, dashboard will still have column chart. You will see data being updated in column chart but it will stay as you've originally pinned. If you want any changes in report to be reflected in dashboard as well then instead of pinning individual tiles use 'Pin Live Page' option.

Capture.PNG

Thanks! Will be helpful if they allow automatic updates of individual tiles.

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @gopaltarakad,

Actually, pinned dashboards do update themselves. We publish PBIX files from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Web, and our tiles are automatically refreshed. We do not pin live pages, although that is probably the safest option for you.

Note* It seems the auto update (pinned tiles) is NOT consistent for all types of content. In my company, we advise all our internal Power BI admins to double check their dashboards to ensure all tiles are updated prior to release.

Regards,

Dan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors