Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jcampbell474
Helper IV
Helper IV

When will Connect to App underlying dataset permission start working?

When publishing an app, we always ensure that "Allow all users to connect to the app's underlying datasets using the Build permission." is checked (enabled).  If the report (app) uses a shared dataset in another workspace, we also have to give the same permissions (using Manage Permissions) at the dataset level.  

I may be wrong, but it seems that if allow all users to connect to the dataset is enabled additional permissions should not be required?  Should it start working that way, or is it working as intended?

2 REPLIES 2
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jcampbell474,

very good question 😀

At the moment, this is indeed a limitation. You have to give users Build permission to all the underlying datasets.

A few days ago Microsoft did make an announcement that this permission is no longer required when using Premium (or PPU). For Pro however, we'll have to wait a bit longer due to technical limitations.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Thank you for the acknowldegement and explanation!

Does the announcement impact Composite models only?  We're using a premium capacity and the limitation persists.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors