Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bokazoit
Post Patron
Post Patron

When I need to create a dashboard from different workspaces!?

I have read and searched but can not find a good way. We are a small organization and currently there is 5 wokspaces. A main workspace where the most important reports go - main area. Then 3 different workspaces containing area specific content and finally a finans area. The dashboard is suppose to be in the main area, and now the trouble. They want content from the other areas to be part of that dashboard, but that is not possible without entering all reports into the main area and that will cluster the area and make it impossible for people to find reports.

I looked into apps, but then I need to create a workspace for all reports to go and from there I create the dashboard, but then I have to maintain the reports in several workspaces which is not very userfriendly. I can't find a the right path in this and need some input from you people. 

I have several Power BI datasets and seperated them from one large dataset to make it more userfriendly, so creating a report that looks like a dashboard is not an option.

Any help to insights is appreciated 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I'm sorry but you can't pin a visual from a report to a different workspace. The workspaces are built to relate their own components inside of it. You can relate them to a different one.

You might need to think again the distribution of your reports to check if the current way make sense or if you should get them together in single workspace.

Another way would be connecting a small new report to the datasets that can handle the visualizations you want to pin. Create that report in the main area with that single visual and pin it.

There is a third option creating a new dataset with the aggregated data for the dashboard. Then pin that report visuals.

I hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sfog
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi

I know it is a late reply but posting it in case you are still considering options. 

You cannot pin across workspaces - but there is a workaround that will solve the problem: You can copy a dataset from one workspace to another. This creates a reference to the dataset (it is not an actual copy with a separate refresh etc.). Once copied, you can pin from the copied dataset. Note: the target workspace must be be migrated to a 'new experience' workspace.

Regards 

This would actually be a good workaround for me. Could you explain how you create a referenced dataset? Google came up empty

Edit: Unless this is what you are referring to

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-across-workspaces

Hi

Correct, that's the link that explains how to copy and re-use a dataset across workspaces. If you cannot copy a dataset to a workspace, you may need to migrate the workspace (as it must be a new experience workspace).

Another option that is in preview is; getting data from Power BI datasets (Direct AS).

So my recommendation would be: if the copy-and-pin to dashboard works for you, go with that because it is quick and easy. If you realise you need cross filtering and the dashboard approach does not work, consider using DIrect AS qqueries (you need to activate this in preview options). ALthough in preview, it works well and I've been using it quite a bit.

I wrote a white paper on this eact issue a while ago, which descibes the problem, provides the options and recommendations. I will try and publish it later this week/over the weekend (although it will state the same as above - so will not be anything new for you).

Good luck!

Thank you for your post, can you supply the link to your article? The MS link above is not very helpful or informative enough. Thanks!

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I'm sorry but you can't pin a visual from a report to a different workspace. The workspaces are built to relate their own components inside of it. You can relate them to a different one.

You might need to think again the distribution of your reports to check if the current way make sense or if you should get them together in single workspace.

Another way would be connecting a small new report to the datasets that can handle the visualizations you want to pin. Create that report in the main area with that single visual and pin it.

There is a third option creating a new dataset with the aggregated data for the dashboard. Then pin that report visuals.

I hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

The solution was created later, where I could place all my datasets in one workspace and the create reports from several datasets. That way I could create dashboards from multiple reports across datasets.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors