Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Winniethewinner
Helper III
Helper III

What's the difference among RLS, permission, access settings?

Hi everyone, 

I'm a bit confused by the different "access control" settings in PBI and hoping to get some clarifications here.

For example I have a PBI desktop file is ready to pubish. 

• RLS: so firstly I create roles in the PBI desktop, then I publish to a workspace. 

Winniethewinner_0-1648491933444.png

Then I go to workspace, click "Security" next to dataset, and then I add people to each role that I created in desktop.  

Winniethewinner_1-1648492328169.png

Winniethewinner_2-1648492590940.png

My first question is, what people can see, in Workspace and App, till this step?

• Manage permissions: my second question is what does this do? 

Winniethewinner_3-1648493027753.png

• Permissions under "Update app" button: my next question is what does this one do?

Winniethewinner_4-1648493195672.png

• Access: theres is also "Access" button on the top right corner of the workspace where I can add people's email address and assign them to either of the four roles. What is the difference between "Access" and "Manage permission" and "Permission" under the update app?

Winniethewinner_5-1648493258687.png

If anyone please provide some clarifications and best practice of how to use these "access controls", that would be really appreciated. Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

I will go in rever order
Acess is for access level on Workspace, who can manage, contribute to the workspace (Admin/Developers), it applies at workspace level Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Permission - What type to permissions user/group have - Read/reshare, it is at dataset/report level Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

RLS- This is applicable at dataset level to determine what data will be visible to users based on there acess level. This applys when shared through APP. Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

I will go in rever order
Acess is for access level on Workspace, who can manage, contribute to the workspace (Admin/Developers), it applies at workspace level Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Permission - What type to permissions user/group have - Read/reshare, it is at dataset/report level Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

RLS- This is applicable at dataset level to determine what data will be visible to users based on there acess level. This applys when shared through APP. Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors