Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Rarely
Frequent Visitor

What happens to workspace in Premium Capacity when switching to Fabric

Hi there, I'm keen to get going with Fabric.

We currently have Power BI Premium P1 Capacity and would like to turn on Fabric.

What happens to all the Workspaces which are currently assigned to Power BI Premium Capacity?
Do they get switched over to Fabric and into One Lake?

Or do we need to add new Capacity for Fabric?

I can't seem to find this information anywhere

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Rarely
Frequent Visitor

Hi there, thanks for the response.

What I'm, reallly after is to understand what happens to the existing Premium Capacity Workspaces and artifacts when Fabric is turned on. 

For example where is the data now stored for an existing Dataflow which is currently stored somewhere in the Premium capacity DataLake.  Does that now get switched over to onelake??

Many thanks

Hey @Rarely ,

nothing will happen to exisiting datasets. Either the storage mode of these datasets is

• Import (nothing will change)
  • DirectQuery/LiveConnection (the data is stored outside of the capacity)

Nothing will be switched over to One Lake.

Of course you have to enable "Fabric":

TomMartens_0-1688147527518.png

My recommendation is not to enable the creation of Fabric items for the Entire Organization, but use a dedicated Azure Active Directory Security Group. The screenshot is from my priavate tenant, here it's just me, myself, and I.

To make it simple, I imagine One Lake as a managed ADLS Gen2 storage account (managed by Fabric). This storage will be created as soon as you create a lakehouse inside your workspace. Then you can load data to the lakehouse.

Hopefully, this adds some additional insights.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. As far as I have watched at microsoft videos, if you have Premium you already have Fabric features. They should be included at premium. You can check if you can create a pipeline or something like that at a premium workspace.

Changing capacity won't impact your development. I guess if premium let's you use Fabric you probably have the one lake already, once you create a LakeHouse you will be able to see the path. Before purchasing a different Fabric Capacity I would check if you can already use its items.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors