Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

JMCanela
Regular Visitor

What gateway do I need?

I have a computer with a user without administrator permissions. I need to install a gateway but I don't know if it is a personal or standard type of gateway. I am going to access data from excel, csv and access files. And also, those data sources will be used by other users (not admin). What type of gateway should I install on that computer?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @JMCanela 

You won't need a Gateway for the Excel and CSV sources. I would recommend saving these in a shared SharePoint Folder and using the SharePoint folder connector to get them. 

Back to the Gateway for the Access DB, I would download the On Prem Gateway. When it is installed, you can add users to the Gateway here  https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/gateways?experience=power-bi 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
R1k91
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Plan your architecture carefully. 
if those data must be accessed by multiple users it should be "always reachable" dedicated VM, periodically patched and continuosly monitored.

Gateways could easily become single point of failure.

did you check internally with you organization which are internally agreed best practices?

JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @JMCanela 

You won't need a Gateway for the Excel and CSV sources. I would recommend saving these in a shared SharePoint Folder and using the SharePoint folder connector to get them. 

Back to the Gateway for the Access DB, I would download the On Prem Gateway. When it is installed, you can add users to the Gateway here  https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/gateways?experience=power-bi 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors