Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What End User Role/Permission Do I need to set?

Hi Gurus,

I have built 2 types of reports for my organization and yet I am not sure what types of access I should give the end users.

1. I built an Excel pivot table that gets data from a Power BI dataset that scheduled refresh daily. I am hoping the end users can use that Excel file that gets updated data from Power BI dataset.

Is the best practice I add users to the App workspace and assign contributor role to them?

2. I built Power BI report and about to publish App so users can view the dashboards and reports.

In the 'Permission tab' I can choose from 'Entire organization' or 'specific individual or group', 

If I choose 'Entire organization' , does it mean even people that are not in this workspace can view the report as well??

Also, there is 'Manage Permission' drop-down in each Dataset/report, how is that different from the 'Role of workspace' and the permission in the 2nd point above?

Justinguo_0-1655190258273.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

1. If you want the user to simply see the latest data, you can set it as the Viewr role. If you want this user to be able to operate in the APP, you can set it as Contributor.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-roles-new-workspaces

2. 'Entire organization': represents all users in the entire tenant.

'specific individual or group': represents a user or a group in the entire tenant.

With 'Entire organization' selected, even users who are not in this workspace can see the report.

3. There are 4 roles in the workspace, each role will have a corresponding role

For example:

Contributors can update the app associated with the workspace, if the workspace Admin delegates this permission to them. However, they can't publish a new app or change who has permission to it.

When you turn on dataset manage permissions, the users who have been granted access permissions will be listed, this is where you can view their emails and the permissions they have, and here you can grant and remove access to this dataset.

If it is admin in the workspace, then it is Owner in the datasert interface, which can have all permissions, and you can also give users who are not in the workspace permission to access the dataset through the dataset interface.

vyangliumsft_0-1655445613111.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

There is no difference between these two.

The first is the viewer of Workspace, which can view the reports inside.

The second is that when the user enters the app in a certain way, it will automatically have a viewer permission that can temporarily access the app.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

1. If you want the user to simply see the latest data, you can set it as the Viewr role. If you want this user to be able to operate in the APP, you can set it as Contributor.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-roles-new-workspaces

2. 'Entire organization': represents all users in the entire tenant.

'specific individual or group': represents a user or a group in the entire tenant.

With 'Entire organization' selected, even users who are not in this workspace can see the report.

3. There are 4 roles in the workspace, each role will have a corresponding role

For example:

Contributors can update the app associated with the workspace, if the workspace Admin delegates this permission to them. However, they can't publish a new app or change who has permission to it.

When you turn on dataset manage permissions, the users who have been granted access permissions will be listed, this is where you can view their emails and the permissions they have, and here you can grant and remove access to this dataset.

If it is admin in the workspace, then it is Owner in the datasert interface, which can have all permissions, and you can also give users who are not in the workspace permission to access the dataset through the dataset interface.

vyangliumsft_0-1655445613111.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Liu Yang,

thank you. one last question,

What's the difference between

1. giving users the viewer role 

2. Not giving users any role but give users access to the App?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors