Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

Visualising SharePoint lists with Power BI

Some users in my organisation have discovered the "visualising SharePoint lists" feature in Power BI:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-in/blog/visualizing-sharepoint-lists-now-available-to-all-users/ 

I wasn't aware of this myself, so now I'm playing catchup. We're a Premium customer, but it seems this feature is outside of Power BI Service *

It seems you need to have a Pro licence to both create/edit and view these SharePoint list reports, but this leaves a potential issue as being a Premium user, our free licence users aren't able to view the SharePoint list reports, this seems to completely circumvent the Premium/free licence setup and I now have the dilemma of a) granting a load of users a Pro licence (I don't want to due to $$$), or b) discouraging the use of this feature (I like the feature, so also don't want to).

Is there a way this feature can work in a manner that allows free users to view the SharePoint list reports, as they would in a Premium workspace in Power Bi Service?

* I know that potentially means I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but I couldn't think where else to put it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi PetyrBaelish,

I found this out the same way you did. There are lot of limitations in this feature which giving the Power BI admin team a headache.

You are right, it is somehow "outside" of Power BI service, as it is published in the Sharepoint library, not a Power BI workspace. And there is not way to assign Premium capacity to that library, thus all users who want to view them need a Pro license. I hope they allow this to be publish into a Premium workspace in the future. Free license can still create the report, but cant publish it nor view published report.

We decided to educate them on how to connect to the list from Power BI desktop and publish to a premium workspace. This way a free users can view it too.

Here is a list of other limitations
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-quick-create-sharepoint-list#consid...

im following this post in case theres a solution.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi PetyrBaelish,

I found this out the same way you did. There are lot of limitations in this feature which giving the Power BI admin team a headache.

You are right, it is somehow "outside" of Power BI service, as it is published in the Sharepoint library, not a Power BI workspace. And there is not way to assign Premium capacity to that library, thus all users who want to view them need a Pro license. I hope they allow this to be publish into a Premium workspace in the future. Free license can still create the report, but cant publish it nor view published report.

We decided to educate them on how to connect to the list from Power BI desktop and publish to a premium workspace. This way a free users can view it too.

Here is a list of other limitations
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-quick-create-sharepoint-list#consid...

im following this post in case theres a solution.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @PetyrBaelish 

For free users you need a Premium Workspace, For a shared workspace you need at least a Pro license of each of your users.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors