Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

powpowpowbi
Regular Visitor

View-only members of group workspace cannot create alerts

I created a dashboard in a group workspace and added members to the group.  I put on the setting "Members can only view Power BI content."  A member tried to create an alert on a dashboard tile, filled out all of the necessary fields to create the alert, and got the error "Couldn't create the alert.  Please try again."  I understand from a colleague that a current limitation is that if we do not allow members to edit, members cannot create alerts.  I am looking for ideas from you all on work-around solutions.  The alerts will be critical to draw members to the dashboard when business changes occur that members should be aware of right away.  Please help. 

We intend for our members to consume the content at this point, which is why we let them view only.  We have hundreds of members in the group and do not want one person's edit to affect everyone else's dashboard. 

4 REPLIES 4
cosborn1231
Resolver I
Resolver I

HI Powpowpowbi,

This may not be the safest route if you are worried about edits. If you switch your group permissions  to members can "edit" you can have those who need alerts set them up against the dashboards(s). Once they have an alert set up you can switch the group permissions back to view only and users will continue to be able to use their alert they had set up, but will not have edit permissions going forward...

Once again this is the best way I have found.

-Christian

Thank you, @cosborn1231.  I had not thought of your idea previously.  

A drawback is that whenever a member wants to change the threshold on an alert, the member would have to let me know so that I can briefly provide edit access for the member to update the alert.  Since we have several hundred members, it is not scalable for me to tell them to contact me to temporarily provide edit access when they want to set an alert.  My colleague created this idea in relation to this problem.  

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15873279-an-application-should-be...

@powpowpowbi Got my vote! 😉

Thanks, @cosborn1231!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors