Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Trudgeon
Helper III
Helper III

Value Decimal Places uneditable on PowerBI.com

Does anybody know why this is happening? 

I have a measure in a card visualization on Power BI desktop and I can adjust the displayed decimal places.  The exact same measure in a card visualization on PowerBI.com does not allow me to adjust the displayed decimal places.  I'm reproducing the exact same report from desktop to online.  There is no deviation.  Why is this happening?

Thanks.

Example.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Trudgeon,

I've made a test but couldn't reproduce your issue. Could you share more details about what you have done?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy,

I didn't publish the pbix file in which I built the report.  Instead I rebuilt the report online.

This is the process that I go through...

We have one blank Sales Dataset pbix file that is the pristine source of truth.  It merely houses all of the data tables.  Whenever I need to build a new report in our Shared Workspace that is based on the Sales Dataset, I make a copy of the Sales Dataset pbix file and build the report in Desktop.  I do this to keep the original Sales Dataset pbix file clean.  Once I've sucessfully built the new report in Desktop, I add any newly created Measures/Columns to the original Sales Dataset pbix file.  Then I publish the original Sales Dataset pbix to PowerBI.com.  After that I have to rebuild the report from scratch in the Shared Workspace.  The reason for this process is because each pbix file published to the service creates a brand new dataset and we don't want a bunch of datasets that contain the exact same data tables.  We are trying to keep the Shared Workspace as clutter-free as possible to encourage adoption.

My testing indicates that the online report's decimal places are entirely driven by the field modeling in Desktop.  When I change measure's decimal places to 2 in the Sales Dataset pbix file in Desktop and republish, then it becomes 2 decimal places online.  But then I'm stuck with 2 decimal places for all visualizations.  The Data Label settings for the Card visualization show a greyed out "Auto" in the decimal places field.

If you check out the attached file, you'll see what I'm trying to do (and what I was able to do in Desktop).  Same field, two visualizations, two different decimal place settings.  Desktop gives me the choice to change the decimal places for the Card in the Data Label settings, but Online does not.

Regards,

Chad Trudgeon

Capture.JPG

Hi Trudgeon,

Could you share your attach file using some cloud storage like onedrive or google storage?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi there,

Are you aware that you can connect to the Power BI dataset in the Service through Power BI desktop?

This will still only use the single dataset even when uploading the pbix file

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

We're in the midst of implementing Power BI and the dataset is subject to change based on initial reporting needs.  Therefore, I'm not connecting to the Power BI service dataset because a report may call for a calculated column or an additional data table.  Once the dataset is fully formed, I'll begin building reports in Desktop from the Power BI service connection.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

I would imagine that it should remember the settings from Desktop when you publish it online.

Are you viewing it directly on the report or via an App?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors