Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Rick4him
Helper I
Helper I

Using On-premise gateway Error The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error.

Hi,

I have a dataset with 125 million rows, I mention this as I don't know if this is consider a lot to PowerBI.  Uncompressed it execeeds the 10GB limit but not under our PowerBI Premium license. 

The issue is that it does not consistently refresh, it may pull off 4 or 5 refreshes successfully then it gets the "internal service error" (see details at end).  If I run it again, it refreshes. I have checked the gateway logs and there are no errors in the exported log.  It takes 1.5 hours to refresh which is under the 2 hour timeout threshold.

I read that you need to keep the "Gateway" up to date with Desktop version, is that referring only to the personal gateway or also the server gateway?  If it does refer to server gateway, how do you upgrade the server gateway?  I do not see any options in the On-premise data gateway tool on the server.

I also read that the PBIX needed to be under 250mb, is that true?  Even when using a workspace under Power BI Premium?

Thanks, Rick 

Technical Information:

Activity Id: 1403ab42-2fdd-4c07-b6c0-70614c5a454b

Request Id: 76ec86e6-89ca-4bbd-a6cc-ad078e010141

Cluster Name: WABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Refresh Start Time: 01/16/2018 12:01:12Z

Refresh End Time: 01/16/2018 13:24:02Z

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Rick4him,

Are there instructions on this "installing the latest version of the gateway(manually from Power BI Service)"?  When I manage GateWay using app.powerBi.com, I do not see any update.  It seems the update should be on the server but how is that done there is no option as I mentioned.

You can refer to this article to download and install the latest version of on-premises data gateway. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Rick4him,

A lot of issues can surface when the gateway(both personal and on-premise) version is out of date. It is a good general practice to make sure you are on the latest version. If you haven't updated the gateway for a month, or longer, you may want to consider installing the latest version of the gateway(manually from Power BI Service) and see if you can reproduce the issue.

If the issue persists, I would suggest create a support ticket on Power BI Support page for better assistance. Smiley Happy

Regards

Are there instructions on this "installing the latest version of the gateway(manually from Power BI Service)"?  When I manage GateWay using app.powerBi.com, I do not see any update.  It seems the update should be on the server but how is that done there is no option as I mentioned.

Hi @Rick4him,

You can refer to this article to download and install the latest version of on-premises data gateway. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors