Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bml123
Post Patron
Post Patron

Users being asked to upgrade to Pro when accessing reports from Premium workspace

Hi,

We have premium licence and have a workspace in premium capacity with reports in it and when users across the organisation tried to access the reports from premium capacity workspace, it is giving an error message that they need to upgrade to Pro. 

Not sure if I am missing anything. Please can someone help urgently.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bml123 ,

Power BI Pro and Power BI Premium are two completely different licenses. Pro is for users, and Premium is for capacity. If a report is in Premium capacity and you share it with Free users, Free users can view the report.

But you give a Free user the permissions of the workspace, and it is not feasible for him to access the report through the workspace. Only Pro users can manage and view the workspace.

• Licensing enforcement: Publishing reports to a new workspace experience enforces existing licensing rules. Users collaborating in new workspaces or sharing content to others in the Power BI service need a Power BI Pro license. Users without a Pro license see the error "Only users with Power BI Pro licenses can publish to this workspace."

Reference: Features that work differently

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Loui888
Regular Visitor

I am having this same issue with members in my organisation. 
As the Workspace Admin I have granted them 'Viewer' access in the 'Manage access' section of the Workspace. 
When they go to access the app via the link provided they recieve a window stating: Upgrade to a paid Power BI license.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bml123 ,

Sorry to disturb you...

But did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Stephen Tao

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bml123 ,

Power BI Pro and Power BI Premium are two completely different licenses. Pro is for users, and Premium is for capacity. If a report is in Premium capacity and you share it with Free users, Free users can view the report.

But you give a Free user the permissions of the workspace, and it is not feasible for him to access the report through the workspace. Only Pro users can manage and view the workspace.

• Licensing enforcement: Publishing reports to a new workspace experience enforces existing licensing rules. Users collaborating in new workspaces or sharing content to others in the Power BI service need a Power BI Pro license. Users without a Pro license see the error "Only users with Power BI Pro licenses can publish to this workspace."

Reference: Features that work differently

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

can premium per capacity users can view reports shared by pro license?

Hello,

You said, "Power BI Pro and Power BI Premium are two completely different licenses. Pro is for users, and Premium is for capacity. If a report is in Premium capacity and you share it with Free users, Free users can view the report."

My org has premium capicity and free users in our organization are still be asked to upgrade to Pro when trying to view a report in a Premium by Capicty Workspace.

Any thoughts?

Hello, I am currious if you have fixed your issus. I have exact the same problem. I have published the report on a Premium workspace capacity and wants to share a link (not embedded link) to internal Free users - I have given the user viewer permisions on the workspace - but when I share the link the user is prompted to upgrade to Pro license.

I am beginning to think if we need a setting in the Power BI Admin tennant settings, but I don't have access to that setting.

So right now I am currious if you found a solution and hear what you did?

Regards,
Niels

Hello,

Yes, I did solve the problem.

The issue was that person who created the report moved it from one workspace to another. In the new workspace, the report existed by the data set didn't. Thus,the viewer didn't have access to the dataset which created the report, which is needed to view the report. Thus, they were being asked to upgrade to Pro so that they would have access to everything they needed to view the report in that workspace.

The report was republished into the new workspace, thus the dataset was created there too and everything worked fine. Not sure if that is what is going on in your situation but hope it helps.

Andrew

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @bml123,

the key is to publish the reports to an App (from the workspace) and then give permissions to the users on that app.

Or you could also give users the Viewer role on the workspace, that also works. But using an app is best practise and preferred.

Please have a look at: Distribute insights in an app.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Hi @nickyvv ,

I have published a report as an app and gave access to external users, and few of the external users are facing the error "Upgrade to Power BI Pro" What could be the issue here? Could you please help.

Regards,

@bibinthomas 

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @bml123,

make sure you publish the App on top of the workspace and give the users rights to this App.

It is by design that users without a Pro license cannot access the report in the workspace, only the reports/pages in the App. 

Please have a look at: Distribute insights in an app.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors