Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ynr0225
Helper V
Helper V

User has requested access to Power BI Report in service

Hi – Is there a way to disable these requests? We don’t want users submitting access requests this way. They should be leveraging our AD Groups.

Ynr0225_0-1680284423579.png

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Ynr0225 

In Power BI you can disable the option for people to request direct access to a report by configuring the report's access settings. Here are the steps to do this:

1. Navigate to the workspace containing the report for which you want to disable direct access requests.
  2. Click on the "Settings" (gear) icon in the top-right corner of the workspace page, and select "Security" from the menu that appears.
  3. In the "Security" settings page, click on the "Access" tab.
  4. Find the user or group for which you want to disable direct access requests and click on the "..." (ellipsis) button to the right of their name.
  5. In the menu that appears, select "Edit access."
  6. In the "Edit access" window, you will see an option for "Can request access." To disable direct access requests for this user or group, simply toggle this option to "Off."
  7. Click "Add" and then "Done" to save your changes.

Once you have disabled direct access requests for the necessary users or groups, they will no longer be able to request access to the report directly. Instead, they will need to follow your organization's specific method for requesting access to the report.

Keep in mind that only users who have been granted "Member" or "Admin" access to the workspace will be able to access the report at all. If a user is not a member of the workspace, they will not be able to see the report or request access to it.

Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Ynr0225 

In Power BI you can disable the option for people to request direct access to a report by configuring the report's access settings. Here are the steps to do this:

1. Navigate to the workspace containing the report for which you want to disable direct access requests.
  2. Click on the "Settings" (gear) icon in the top-right corner of the workspace page, and select "Security" from the menu that appears.
  3. In the "Security" settings page, click on the "Access" tab.
  4. Find the user or group for which you want to disable direct access requests and click on the "..." (ellipsis) button to the right of their name.
  5. In the menu that appears, select "Edit access."
  6. In the "Edit access" window, you will see an option for "Can request access." To disable direct access requests for this user or group, simply toggle this option to "Off."
  7. Click "Add" and then "Done" to save your changes.

Once you have disabled direct access requests for the necessary users or groups, they will no longer be able to request access to the report directly. Instead, they will need to follow your organization's specific method for requesting access to the report.

Keep in mind that only users who have been granted "Member" or "Admin" access to the workspace will be able to access the report at all. If a user is not a member of the workspace, they will not be able to see the report or request access to it.

Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Like other comments, I don't see the Security menu in Workspsace setting seither even though I am workspace admin? Is this something that only the Power BI Tenant Admins have access to?

wtg_bko_1-1708039100871.png

Hi, thanks for this information.

I wonder whether this solution still works in the current Power BI environment. I am Admin of a workspace, but I do not see this security option in the settings.

Any ideas?

If you click on "More Options" next to the dataset, this appears in the dataset settings. KMM_0-1693919477345.png

I just tried your solution - but couldnt get it to return the desired behaviour (i.e. users not being able to "request access" to the REPORT, as is also the initial issue in this thread). 

Does this apply to the data set only?

I realized shortly after my response that it does not appear on the users end the way I hoped. 

I updated my report to the second option and have not been able to locate where this option appears on the users end. I am also trying to address the intial issue from this thread. 

OK - thanks for responding

- and for continuing the investigations. Personally I have only hit dead ends so far 😞

Same here. 😕 Keep me posted if you find anything! 

Hi there

I am not able to see the suggested path / menu item of "Security" despite being workspace admin.

Would you be able to post a screenshot of how this looks from your end?

Thanks in advance

Pi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors