Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sgeheeb
Helper II
Helper II

User Permission to create Dashboards from shared reports only

Hi,

I need to achive the following scenario: Power BI Users need to be able to create dashboards from the reports which have been shared with them.

I cannot give them access to the whole workspace, because the workspace also contains reports which they are not supposed to see. Giving them access on the workspace level will reveal all contents.

If I share only individual reports from a workspace with them, they can view the report, but cannot pin its contents to a dashboard. In this case, the "Pin" is greyed out and the are told that "Read-only conent can't be pinned". I have given them permissions to read and create content when I shared the report with them.

Can anyone please provide any help / insight on this? This does not seem like an outlandish requirement.

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Sadly I don't think there is a solution like you want for this. It's an interesting approach that you might want to suggest in https://ideas.powerbi.com

Dashboards are created in a workspace from the same workspace. So unless the user belongs to the workspace they won't be able to create dashboards. 

You might need to move those reports to a different workspace to avoid them checking all of the reports because that's the only way to create dashboards today. You need to be part of the same workspace and create dashboards on that workspace.

I hope that make sense.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sgeheeb 

If you have given them the permission to read and create content for your shared report , they can create a new report based on the dataset of the report .

Because for shared reports, as long as you give build permissions, it means that the shared person can directly create reports and dashboards in his workspace through the dataset corresponding to this report .

But they cannot operate directly on the report you share, unless they are also in your workspace .

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sgeheeb
Helper II
Helper II

Hi. Thank you for the replys! I will leave a suggestion at ideas.powerbi.com an see what happens 🙂 Maybe there can be something like personal dashboards which can be based upon all reports the user has access to and are not tied to a specific workspace.

Edit: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=230b89c5-22bd-eb11-89ee-0003ff454c66

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sgeheeb 

If you have given them the permission to read and create content for your shared report , they can create a new report based on the dataset of the report .

Because for shared reports, as long as you give build permissions, it means that the shared person can directly create reports and dashboards in his workspace through the dataset corresponding to this report .

But they cannot operate directly on the report you share, unless they are also in your workspace .

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Sadly I don't think there is a solution like you want for this. It's an interesting approach that you might want to suggest in https://ideas.powerbi.com

Dashboards are created in a workspace from the same workspace. So unless the user belongs to the workspace they won't be able to create dashboards. 

You might need to move those reports to a different workspace to avoid them checking all of the reports because that's the only way to create dashboards today. You need to be part of the same workspace and create dashboards on that workspace.

I hope that make sense.

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors