Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mdalton
Helper I
Helper I

Updating the data in Excel-Other User

I created a PowerBI marketing dataset that I wanted to report on in Excel.  I built the connection and the refreshes were working great on my end.

I handed this over to our VP of marketing and there are some errors/blanks when he tries to refresh. He has Pro capacity and I have premium.

Does he need premium or is there another solution I am not aware of?

5 REPLIES 5
mdalton
Helper I
Helper I

I set up connections inside of Microsoft Excel. Then I sent it over. I then gave him Admin access to the On-premise data gateway. We are still having the same issue.

I then gave him Admin access to the On-premise data gateway

That is unnecessary, and unrelated to your issue.

What are the error messages he sees?

There is no error message.

When I open the excel file (that has Power Platform PowerBI data), I am able to refresh and see values. When I send the excel file to him and he tries to refresh the data (Queries & Connections->*hitting refresh on the connection name*), his Pivot Tables that just had numeric data in it swtill keep the categorical rows show blank values for the rows.

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mdalton ,

Now, Power BI has two Premium license, Premium for Per User and Premium for Per Capacity, Premium for Per Capacity has three SKU(P, EM, A).

If your workspace is hosted in P sku capacity, when you share report in this workspace with user, user with free license could view it.

vbinbinyumsft_0-1694488663083.png

When user need to refresh dataset, need to configure the gateway or credentials.

For more details, you can read related document: Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If your workspace is on a Premium capacity and you shared via the app  then he doesn't need a Pro license.

Validate if RLS is involved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors