Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ziggedzh

Update powerbi in browser without having to press f5 to refresh.

I have a powerbi-report running in a browser on a wall-mounted TV, but I'm not sure how to update it without having to press "f5" to refresh.

Use Case:

We are creating a dashboard that displays how well a department is doing. Each department needs to log into the dashboard and see their particular data; they should not be able to view the performance of the other departments. The dashboard will be displayed 24/7 on a wall-mounted television. The data is refreshed every 2 hours.

Implementation:

Each department can access their part of the dashboard using row-level-security, and the dashboard is accessed through a web URL. We are using the "import" function to get data from our SQL-database. 

Problem:

The problem is that the web UI needs to be refreshed (F5) every 2 hours, which means someone manually has to click refresh in the browser in each department, which is not ideal. We preferably do not want to install browser extensions such as "Auto Refresh".  

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

If you are using PowerBI Report Server, you can set up automatic refresh of the dashboard in the report server configuration. If you are using PowerBI Service, you can schedule the refresh in the data source settings or use PowerBI API's to programmatically refresh the report.

Additionally, you can consider using PowerBI embedded or PowerBI API's to programmatically refresh the report and display it on the wall-mounted TV using a custom application or solution.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Musikologo97
Frequent Visitor

excuse my English: One solution used was that my report uses (publish to the web (public)), I generate the IFRAME. On the other hand, in 1 HTML with the help of Javascript I make 1 browser refresh every 30 minutes.

djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @ziggedzh ,

If you are using a Power BI Dashboard, (not report), the dashboard tiles will update within 15 minutes of the import dataset refresh.

MAwwad
Super User
Super User

If you are using PowerBI Report Server, you can set up automatic refresh of the dashboard in the report server configuration. If you are using PowerBI Service, you can schedule the refresh in the data source settings or use PowerBI API's to programmatically refresh the report.

Additionally, you can consider using PowerBI embedded or PowerBI API's to programmatically refresh the report and display it on the wall-mounted TV using a custom application or solution.

Thank you MAwwad

but every single item suggested needs a specific deepening through a web search.... (a Google or Bing search).

It would be great have a direct link to each topic 🙂 based on your experience... 

Don't get me wrong but thanks anyway

As @djurecicK2 mentioned, if you're using a Power BI dashboard, not a report, then the tiles should automatically update themselves without user interaction.

If you're using a report, then that's a different story. In that case, since you mentioned using Import Mode, the only way to get your report's visuals to auto-update on their own is to use an external tool. Even Automatic Page Refresh does not work when you use Import Mode, and that's regardless of licensing.

I built a custom tool called Displagent to handle the that particular case, where you have a report on Import Mode and you need the visuals to auto-refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors