Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

naninamu
Helper III
Helper III

Update PBIX/Service but not 'Publish to Web'

Hi there,

I have a PBIX that I publish to the Service which is also Published to Web.

Sometimes I want to make changes to the PBIX and publish them to see what they look like on the Service, but don't want that to flow through to the Published to Web version until I'm 100% happy.

Is there a way to publish to Service without Publish to Web updating? I don't want to have to change the URL either as it is embedded on our company's website and is not easy to change regularly.

Thank you in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I don't think there is way to do that over the same report. You can have approaches if you have a pro license. For example, create a workspace as dev/test environment and another as production environment. Each time you modify publish to dev environment. Test and validate. Once you are sure everything is ok, then publish to Production. You can upload the pbix to the other workspace from local or build something with Power Bi Rest API to move from the dev workspace to the prod workspace. You could write a python script with SimplePBI library that has a method for migrating between workspaces.

If you are working with free license over My Workspace then it's complicated. You could do it changing the name of the pbix on your local. Publish and replace the file_dev.pbix until everything is ok and once validated publish file.pbix to replace the one with publish to web.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

No it shouldn't. For Service they will be two workspaces and two complete different reports. Even though they are the same for you. You can publish to dev all time until you are sure. Then publish that version to production to change the publish to web or build the script to do it online.

This is a blogpost of the last option with python: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/697833112208539648/simplepbipython-copiar-pbix-entre-áreas-de

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
naninamu
Helper III
Helper III

Great, thanks. I'll give it a go!

naninamu
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks for your suggestion. I think this is the way to go. One question, if I set up a "Dev" workspace and a "Prod" workspace, and Publish to Web from "Prod", modifying and publishing to "Dev" shouldn't change the copy published to web from "Prod" should it? 

No it shouldn't. For Service they will be two workspaces and two complete different reports. Even though they are the same for you. You can publish to dev all time until you are sure. Then publish that version to production to change the publish to web or build the script to do it online.

This is a blogpost of the last option with python: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/697833112208539648/simplepbipython-copiar-pbix-entre-áreas-de

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I don't think there is way to do that over the same report. You can have approaches if you have a pro license. For example, create a workspace as dev/test environment and another as production environment. Each time you modify publish to dev environment. Test and validate. Once you are sure everything is ok, then publish to Production. You can upload the pbix to the other workspace from local or build something with Power Bi Rest API to move from the dev workspace to the prod workspace. You could write a python script with SimplePBI library that has a method for migrating between workspaces.

If you are working with free license over My Workspace then it's complicated. You could do it changing the name of the pbix on your local. Publish and replace the file_dev.pbix until everything is ok and once validated publish file.pbix to replace the one with publish to web.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors