Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mfinlay
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unable to refresh in service when appending difference datasources

Hi,

I have a test case report with two sources - one a redshift database, the other a google sheet. I want to append these together. 

This refreshes fine in desktop, but won't refresh in the service. I get a timeout error against the redshift database.

If I remove the append so that the sources are completely separate, then it refreshes in the service. This points to an issue with privacy levels, but after nearly a week of investigation I still can't resolve this.

I have both sources in desktop set to a privacy level of Public (should be Organisational, just using Public to get working):

mfinlay_4-1640793623245.png

mfinlay_1-1640792661172.png

and this is similarly matched in the service - the Google sheet is a gateway, the redshift database a direct connection:

mfinlay_2-1640793021348.png

mfinlay_3-1640793080430.png

I've tried clearing out all permissions and re-entering them in Desktop. I've tried clearing the desktop cache. I've rebuilt the report to append as new, and tried telling Power BI to ignore all Privacy levels, all to no avail. Are there any guru's out there who can suggest something I've not yet tried?

thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Amine - the Gateway is a non-personal one, and works absolutely fine in isolation.

I've manage to solve this by changing the connection method - I used the in-built Google Sheets connector, rather than the separate Gateway we've set up.

A workaround, rather than a fix, but i've achieved what I needed.

thanks

Matt

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mfinlay 

The reason should be because you are refreshing the same dataset or more specificaly the appended table through 2 different ways of connection to 2 different sources ; one is the personal gateway installed in your machine and the other is a DQ. 

I would create 2 seperate visuals in the desktop one for the DQ and the other for the Gateway then put manage to put the visuals look like one. 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Thanks Amine - the Gateway is a non-personal one, and works absolutely fine in isolation.

I've manage to solve this by changing the connection method - I used the in-built Google Sheets connector, rather than the separate Gateway we've set up.

A workaround, rather than a fix, but i've achieved what I needed.

thanks

Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors