Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ucmaoTWG
Frequent Visitor

Unable to refresh an Excel Workbook linked to a dataflow

Hello,

I have an excel workbook that is linked to a dataflow in the same workbook. My understanding was that I could set up a refresh for the excel book so that whenever the data flow is refreshed, the excel book would also pull in the new information. 

Is this not the case? If so, how would I set up an automatic refresh for uploaded workbooks?

What does the 'refresh' button do on the uploaded excel workbook?

Thank you,

2 REPLIES 2
SimonSays
Regular Visitor

@ucmaoTWG I hit the same problem as you. Cannot believe how challenging this is. In my case I have a set of Dataverse tables backing a Model Driven App. I want to be able to share a view of the data with users in my company who will never have Power BI licences. I figured a Dataflow was the way to go, but discovered Excel Online doesn't support refreshing of Dataflows (yet). I wouldn't mind if I could find an alternate way to get the data out of Dataverse that didn't involve building a Power Automate flow. It's not that I can't do this, it just doesn't seem like the right approach. Open to any other suggestions!

ucmaoTWG
Frequent Visitor

More Details.

1) I set up a data flow in a powerbi workspace with sets of data

2) I created an excel workbook that is saved in my Personal One Drive because whenever i try and upload from the cloud one drive, i get the following- 

"This file is located on your OneDrive for Business or on a SHarePoint Online team site and can only be published to your own Power BI Workspace"

3) Uploaded the worksheet to a PowerBI Workspace

4) Go to workbook settings to schedule refresh and get the following:

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:Learn more about data sources that currently support refresh.

Is it possible to have a scheduled refresh linked to a data flow that lives in a workspace?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors