Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Tlotly
Resolver II
Resolver II

Unable to open pbix

Good day

Please assist.

I'm trying to open a previously saved pbix but it's now giving me this error message: I've been using the same file for months, this has never happened. 

How do I change the name if I can't open the file?  How do I resolve this?

Tlotly_0-1644404086876.png

Kind regards

Matlotlo

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Tlotly 

This problem may be caused by the existence of two different versions of Power bi desktop. During an update, the previous version is not overwritten, but is kept. The solution was to remove all Power bi desktop and reinstall the latest version.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @v-zhangti 

The problem persisted even after uninstalling the old inversion. So the cause was that it still didn't delete the old folder under apps. Also I'm not sure why the folders have the SSRS name at the end.

So all I did to resolve the issue, was to rename the existing PowerBI foder

Tlotly_1-1645093252028.png

Thank you

Matlotlo

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Tlotly 

This problem may be caused by the existence of two different versions of Power bi desktop. During an update, the previous version is not overwritten, but is kept. The solution was to remove all Power bi desktop and reinstall the latest version.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-zhangti 

The problem persisted even after uninstalling the old inversion. So the cause was that it still didn't delete the old folder under apps. Also I'm not sure why the folders have the SSRS name at the end.

So all I did to resolve the issue, was to rename the existing PowerBI foder

Tlotly_1-1645093252028.png

Thank you

Matlotlo

Tlotly
Resolver II
Resolver II

Can I also add that the report I'm trying to open was created with 2021 Jan version. This started happening just after I installed 2022 Jan update. 

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

That seems strange.

My first guess is that it is a composite model, so using multiple Power BI datasets or a combination of import/direct query?

If you query a Power BI dataset, add some local/different data and a new table is added (called Drop Outs) to the remote model, and you already have that table locally, then you might run into this error.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

@nickyvv  yes I'm using multiple datasets from SQL server. The Drop Out dataset is actually an Excel File and it's not even named "Drop Outs" so I really don't understand why I'm getting this error now. For sanity check, I've checked the tables in our SQL server and none of them is named "Drop Outs". For now I will check if someone else can open the report on their side.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also facing the same error. I am using composite model. My back up file is not opening in my or other pc. Is there any solution to i can get back my file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors