Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

RosanyA
Frequent Visitor

Unable to download report with databricks live connection in PBI service

Hi all,

Two of us are working on the same dashboard and when we both make edits, we would like to download the dashboard with live connection to data in databricks, make edits then republish.

My colleague created the report and databricks connection and is able to download the report with the live connection. However, I'm not able to. I can only download the report, then connect to the power bi dataset. This however isn't ideal as we would like to keep the live connection.

My colleague has connected to databricks via the Azure Databricks connector, and enters their server hostname and HTTP path. Is the reason I can't download report with live connection due to the server hostname and HTTP path? is that specific to the user?

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi there. I'm not sure what you mean here because you can't do live connection to databricks. That only works for Analysis Services or PowerBi Dataset data source.

I would say that if you only need to work on visual reports, then it's ok to download a report that only will connect to the dataset and not the databricks directly. That way you won't duplicated the data model, you are only using one.

Now, if you want to download the data model to modify the ETL getting data from databricks, then it's a problem.

In order to work with somebody I wouldn't recommend download pbix. I would keep the original pbix at a repository like sharepoint or github. That way you always pull the last version of pbix from repo to keep everything up to date when you publish regarding changes.

Be aware to check the limitations for downloading pbix, because there might be something there that is not allowing what you want: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix#limitations

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.