Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to connect to network-mapped folder using Power BI Gateway

I am having an issue with connecting to a network-mapped folder on my local computer using the Power BI Gateway. I have a server with the Power BI Gateway installed, and I have a folder on that server that I have made into a network folder. I then mapped the folder on my local computer and created a report using Power BI Desktop. When I try to add the file to a gateway in the Gateway connection configuration, I receive the error message "Unable to create data source. Unable to connect to the data source. Either the data source is inaccessible, a connection timeout occurred, or the data source credentials are invalid." If I use Power BI Desktop directly on the server, create a report from the same file, and upload it to Power BI Service, everything works fine. Can someone help me resolve this issue?

4 REPLIES 4
emarx
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem. managed to solve?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also when I use the admin account, I don't get an error message, but the Gateway connection configuration still shows the message "Not configured correctly". Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

jaweher899
Super User
Super User

It seems like the issue could be with the credentials used to connect to the network-mapped folder on your local computer. Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Ensure that you have the correct permissions to access the network-mapped folder.

2. Make sure that you have the correct username and password set up for the network folder on your local computer.

3. Ensure that the Power BI Gateway service account has the necessary permissions to access the network folder.

4. You can try using a different account to access the network folder, such as a local administrator account.

5. You can also try accessing the network folder using a UNC path instead of a mapped drive.

6. Try configuring the firewall settings on the server to allow access to the network folder.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your suggestions. As I mentioned in my previous message, when I use Power BI Desktop directly on the server, create a report from the same file, and upload it to Power BI Service, everything works fine. This indicates that points 1, 2, 3, and 6 might not be the issue. I have also tried using a UNC path instead of a mapped drive path, but the problem still persists. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors