Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

T-Pan
Helper I
Helper I

Transform Data (replaced values) in power bi service.

Hello,

I have uploaded a pbix file in power bi service and i have given access to some managers in this report. Now i want to transform some data (replaced values in power query). Can i do this in power bi service, and if not, can i download the file and whatever changes i make in desktop automatically applied to the report in power bi service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @T-Pan ,

Power BI Service doesn’t support data transformation.

To make changes to your data, you would need to download the PBIX file, make the changes in Power BI Desktop, and then publish it again.

Please note that you should always use the latest version of Power BI Desktop when you open downloaded files. Also, there are some limitations to downloading the PBIX file.

Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

For more information,you may refer to:

Solved: Edit a report uploaded to powerbi Service in Power... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @T-Pan ,

Power BI Service doesn’t support data transformation.

To make changes to your data, you would need to download the PBIX file, make the changes in Power BI Desktop, and then publish it again.

Please note that you should always use the latest version of Power BI Desktop when you open downloaded files. Also, there are some limitations to downloading the PBIX file.

Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

For more information,you may refer to:

Solved: Edit a report uploaded to powerbi Service in Power... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

amustafa
Super User
Super User

In Power BI service you can now open the Symentic Model (AKA Data Model) and update measures and columns. However you cannot open the Power Query. This has to be done in Desktop and re-publishing it to the service. 

Going forward it would be better to create a dataflow in Power BI service and create a report using the Dataflow. I'm saying this because you'll have more requestes like these in the future and it will save you time updating the data model. Cheers!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

So if i use datadlows as my data source, i would be able to do transformations in power bi service which now I can't. Sorry if my question seems stupid, but i have never used Dataflows and I don't know how dataflows work.

Feel free to connect with me on Teams and I'd be happy to walk you through the Dataflows. My ID is mustafa@ms365.com.pk 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors