Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mnorbert

Tooltip sometimes does not show up

I have been experiencing an error that makes my report unusable.
The issue is that sometimes my report page tooltip does not come up. Happens about 2 out of 10 times.

The report consists of a single page and a hidden tooltip page.
The tooltip should appear when the mouse is hovered over the table and should show specific information regarding that line.
In the cases when it works, it works fine, however often when moved from one line to another, the tooltip appears for a fraction of a second, then disappears and never comes up again until the mouse is moved again.

The Dax behind the tooltip page is quite fast so it can not be timeout.

It seems to be browser-related.

We use chrome: Version 91.0.4472.114 

Any workaround?

3 REPLIES 3
mnorbert

Hi @collinq,

Yes, I have built a tab that acts as a tooltip, not the built-in one.

I thought about memory error as well, however even when using a completely blank page as tooltip, without any visuals, the issue still exists.
I have also tried running the browser with cache disabled but no effect on it either.
The visual that triggers the tooltip is a table, where I have tried to enlarge the size of the rows but did not work either. I have also tried using a matrix instead to see if that affects anything but no luck on that.
My users will use the report mainly from a tablet from the PBI application, so I have tested there too, and experienced similar issues.

Thank you very much!

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

Have you followed collinq’s suggestion to check if the problem can be solved?

If not, you can also try to switch your browser to Edge or others and adjust the browser resolution to 100% to test this issue.

Here’s an idea that seems to be relevant to your issue, you can also take a look and vote for it if it’s useful:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=1be7e558-952c-469e-b52d-0dbdb28a5cf3

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @mnorbert ,

I am assuming based on your comment that you are not using the built-in tooltips but that you have built a separate tab for tooltips, right?  And, because you mention that it appears to be browser related and intermittent I am wondering if this might be a result of cache and/or of memory taking a moment to react to the mouse and/or a momentary system delay.  Any of those could result in the behaviour that you mention - where it doesn't react as expected, then the mouse moves and then it "catches up". 

Also, it is possible that you have selected a specific field that is "small" on the first page maybe the area that the mouse has to be in is relatively small for the tooltip page to render and that would also make sense where you have to move the mouse again to get it to pop back up?

Also, do any of these apply?

Limitations and considerations

There are a few limitations and considerations for tooltips to keep in mind.

• Button visuals also support tooltips.
  • Report tooltips are not supported for Power BI visuals.
  • Clusters are not currently supported as fields that can be shown in report tooltips.
  • When choosing a field to be shown for report tooltips, when using a field versus a category, visuals that contain that field will only show the specified tooltip when summarization with the selected field matches.
  • You can turn tooltips off completely for a visual in Power BI reports. However, when you pin that visual to a dashboard in the Power BI service, the basic tooltip will still be displayed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors