Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

spiderrob
Advocate III
Advocate III

There was an error when processing the data in the dataset. Error Code = 0xC1000012

I have a PowerBI report that has been refreshing successfully via scheduled refresh for several months. It's now failing with the above error code - screenshot attached. This doesn't give any usable details on what is wrong.  The report refreshes succesfully with no errors locally and also if I download the PBIX and refresh, there are no problems. It's not a big report - Data sources are 3 SQL views & 1 stored procedure. Biggest table 40k rows. Any ideas on what is wrong....? Thanks

error.JPG

Gateway is fine and working & latest version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok - So I've found and fixed my issue. One of my tables had an old calculated column that is returning an error - The calculation is not used anywhere else and is not used on the report so wasn't immediately obvious - and of course the report refreshes fine locally without returning any errors - The column just shows as an exclamation mark in the data model. By removing this, the report now refreshes successfully in the service - I can only assume that MS changed some logic in the service very recently that now means the data model refresh will fail if there are any errors anywhere  - not just on visuals on the reports.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
igitsailo
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I've cought the exactly the same problem when fetching data from SQL Server data source via data gateway (enterprise mode). The error rised on the 31st of october without evident changes in any configuration and data itself.
During investigation I tried to run a data refresh via Power BI Desktop (version as of october-2017) and it succeeded. Also I have several other datasets that read data from flat files, and the continue to work properly.
Well, I even reinstalled the latest version of On-premises data gateway (enterprise mode), but no success. Moreover, both SQL Server and data gateway are on the same host.
An Idea came to me from the https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem-tshoot/ post, when referreing to TLS 1.0 desupport. So, I even added a parameter to system registry as following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]"SchUseStrongCrypto"=dword:00000001

bu still no success. I shall post an SR for this issue today.

Hope MS helps )

Ok - So I've found and fixed my issue. One of my tables had an old calculated column that is returning an error - The calculation is not used anywhere else and is not used on the report so wasn't immediately obvious - and of course the report refreshes fine locally without returning any errors - The column just shows as an exclamation mark in the data model. By removing this, the report now refreshes successfully in the service - I can only assume that MS changed some logic in the service very recently that now means the data model refresh will fail if there are any errors anywhere  - not just on visuals on the reports.

Hope this helps!

Hi @spiderrob,

Could you accept your helpful reply as solution to help others who have similar issue find the answer easily and close this thread? Smiley Happy

Regards

Thanks spiderrob. You're a lifesaver. I had tow broken calculated columns and were causing me all the trouble.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks @spiderrob.  Really great help to the community!

Hi spiderrob,

Thank you for suggestion! That helped me. Indeed there was a broken calculated column not in use.
Fixed & republished & done!

Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. Lifesaver! Thank you so much spiderrob. Found old calculated columns that were broken, removed them and re-published. This solved my problem! Like you said, they must have changed something, for this to suddenly start happening, and to not offer a failure reason. I am guessing this will catch a few people out. Thanks again!!

raghavkh
Frequent Visitor

Im having the exact same problem. I downloaded the pbix file and refreshed it manually and seems to be refreshing properly. However, it throws me error when I update it through gateway. I am using SQL server connection in the dataset. other reports seems to be refrshing fine with sql source.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors