Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AnnLT
Regular Visitor

Test as role RLS not working since Sept 2023 update

Hi All,

I am hoping you can help I have been using test as role for some time now to check user views with RLS and this has worked fine up until the September 2023 update.

I am going to dataset production > security > test as role 

I get one of two responses:

1. Error message - (there are existing reports using the dataset)

AnnLT_0-1697642782125.png

2. Blank viewing page and not being able to select the drop down

AnnLT_1-1697642954486.png

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated 

Thank you

Ann

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @AnnLT 

From the message it appears that there are no reports connected to the dataset in the same app workspace. Could you upload a report that is connected to this dataset into the SAME app workspace?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AnnLT
Regular Visitor

Thank you so much @GilbertQ I have published the report to the same workspace and it has worked! Really appreciate your help with this.

Could I ask what your thoughts are for best practise?

Our current setup is we keep all datasets in seperate workspaces so for example we have:

Dataset [Dev], Dataset [test] and Dataset [Production] workspaces.

We then have several workspaces for various departments with all reports from all workspaces pointing to Dataset [Production]. Each workspace has its own app and end users have access to apps only.

I am thinking with the report needing to be in the same workspace as the dataset (to use test as role) maybe keeping the setup as is but adding a duplicate report into Datasets [Dev] for reports where RLS is applied only so that we can use that to test as role? 

Thank you 

Ann

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @AnnLT 

From the message it appears that there are no reports connected to the dataset in the same app workspace. Could you upload a report that is connected to this dataset into the SAME app workspace?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @AnnLT 

I noticed that as well, and publishing the report to the same Workspace is NOT the solution. That has always been one of the limitations of testing the roles, but a few months back, Microsoft added the capability of browsing through all the workspaces the connected reports were published to, and it was amazing.
Now things have been messed up and I hope they will make it work again, because it was super useful.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors