Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hasenclever
Helper II
Helper II

Subscription only once when data is refreshed

Guys,

I need help. When using the Mail Subscription functionality setting the frequency to After data refresh (once daily), should the mail be send if the report than serve the dashboard was not refreshed?

My regards,

Michel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@hasenclever,

My question is specific to understand, for instance, on a dataset that is not schedule to refresh and I do only manual refreshed it. Will I receive the subscription mail every day, or only when I refresh it manually? Hope that is clearer.

Ans:

1. Only when you refresh it manually for the first time in a day if frequency is set to "After data refresh(Once Daily)".

2. Everyday if frequency is set to "Daily" irrespective of whether you refresh the data or not.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hasenclever ,

If you select the “After Data Refresh” option will operate the same way it did previously for e-mail subscriptions, meaning it will only be sent after the first data refresh of your dataset each day.  Selecting the daily option will send the mail every day at the time you select, while the weekly option will give you the flexibility to choose specific days. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-report-subscribe 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @Anand24 and @V-lianl-msft for the time you took to answer me. Sorry, but still did not get it.

My question is about the behaviour of the daily subscription when the dataset is not refresh. 

Just to be clear. I am not asking about notifications for when the dataset faills the refresh nor asking for general directions.

My question is specific to understand, for instance, on a dataset that is not schedule to refresh and I do only manual refreshed it. Will I receive the subscription mail every day, or only when I refresh it manually? Hope that is clearer.

@hasenclever,

Ans:

1. Only when you refresh it manually for the first time in a day if frequency is set to "After data refresh(Once Daily)".

2. Everyday if frequency is set to "Daily" irrespective of whether you refresh the data or not.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Them I have a bug. I set it to only when the data is refreshed and I am receiving the mail daily.

Hi @hasenclever ,

This needs to be based on how you subscribe.

All subscriptions that have the frequency set to After data refresh will only send an email after the first scheduled refresh on that day.

If it's just daily, it doesn't matter whether it's refreshed or not, it's only related to the set time.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-lianl-msft  sorry but you did not answer my question.

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @hasenclever ,

There is a checkbox and a text area at bottom in Workspace Settings -> Datasets -> Scheduled Refresh which enables you to send email notification if data refresh fails.

1. For Notifying Dataset Owners, check/tick the checkbox for "Send refresh failure notification emails dataset owner"

2. For Notifying anyone else, provide email ids of recipients in "Email these users when the refresh fails" textbox

Reference Link: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/sending-refresh-notifications-to-others/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors