Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rbobadilla
Frequent Visitor

Streaming - Which is the RetencionPolicy value when HistoricDataAnalysis is disabled/enabled?

Hi guys, reading about Streaming Data in Power BI, I realize that there are two possible values for the parameter defaultRetencionPolicy:

• none: 5,000,000 max rows stored per table
  • basicFIFO: data will collect in a table until it hits 200,000 rows. Once the data goes beyond 200,000 rows, the oldest rows will get dropped from the dataset

So here, all great, but anyway, this parameter can only be setted programatticaly using the Power BI Rest API.

In my case, I don't want to use this option and code an aplication, instead it, i want to use the UI provided from Power BI. And here is my question: i didn't find any information about the defaultretencionpolicy parameter when using the Streaming Dataset UI.

I just know that, using this option, enabling Historic Data Analysis is equivalent to using the Power BI REST APIs to create a dataset with its defaultMode set to pushStreaming. According to the official documentation, data is temporally stored in a cache.

Does it means that, in this case, the defaultretencionpolicy value is basicFIFO, and if i enable the Historic Data Analysis option, the defaultretencionpolicy is setted to "none" ?

Look forward to your comments.

Regards!

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @rbobadilla

You can set this via the UI when you create your streaming data set, as shown below?

Which you can get to under Dataset if you have already created a streaming dataset.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thank your for your repply @GilbertQ.

I can set that value, yes. So, does it mean that if i enable the Historic Data Analysis Option, i am setting a "none" policy restriction, whereas if i set the option as off, i am setting a "basicFIFO" policy restriction?

Yes your description is 100% correct.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors