Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bernate
Helper I
Helper I

Sort By Column Not Showing in Data Mart

Hello all, 

I'm trying to set up a date table in my data mart and I'm running into the classic issue of months being ordered alphabetically. In Desktop I would go to Column tools > Sort by Column to sort the month name column by the month number column. However, it seems that data mart is missing this option from the ribbon.

bernate_1-1661379813032.png

I went into Transform data in case the Sort function might have moved there but again, there's no Column tools and I can only sort by ascending or descending.

bernate_0-1661379795247.png

Does anyone have a work-around for this? I've tried transforming the date column to month because I thought it would format the data to month name while retaining the original date data but it seems to just change the values to text which brings me back to the original issue of being ordered alphabetically.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes! Open the 'Advanced' section of the 'Properties' blade on the right side of the modeling workspace.

Houndog_0-1674521670244.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
brunoctesser
Frequent Visitor

Hello my friend,

have you been able to solve the issue somehow? I got the same problem.

Yes! Open the 'Advanced' section of the 'Properties' blade on the right side of the modeling workspace.

Houndog_0-1674521670244.png

Hi again..

No, is also available (now?) within the 'Column Tools' ribbon within the Data view.  Just need to click on the field and the 'Sort by Column' drop down will appear.

Cheers.

Yes, this is how it's done... I was looking everywhere!!

Thanks & well done Houndog

LaPannacci

You can find that feature in the model panel of the Data Mart

Houndog_0-1667867087436.png

In the model panel? I just don't see it. Where is it hiding?

Anonymous
Not applicable

First click the field you wish to sort then the properties pane will open as mentioned above.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bernate ,

What version of Power BI Desktop you are using?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi Jay, I'm using 2.108.997.0 64-bit (August 2022). The issue isn't with Desktop though, it's with the Data Mart.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors