Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Some guest users can't login the first time, getting "wrong username or password"

We have a sister organization who is logging into our Power BI as guest users.  

For most, it's working.  But a handful lately have had trouble logging in that first time.  "Your account or password is incorrect"

• Their Azure Active Directory invitation is accepted
  • But when logging in, they get a 'your account or password is incorrect. If you don't remember your password, reset it now'

We were on Power BI Pro (and this was occuring), then in the middle upgraded to Power BI Premium (and it's still occuring), so it doesn't seem to be licensing related

• Steps, that either I, or someone with the Power BI Admin role (not me), could do to investigate? 
  • When logging in, should they be logging in under their regular email (ie the on that shows up as "email" in the below Azure Active Directory screenshot) - say Jim@a.com), or the "Alternative Eamil" Jim@b.onmicrosoft.com? 
    • Should it matter? 

error message.jpg

aad3.PNG

  

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

That is really unusual I would chat to your network / azure admin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mmace1 

When a user logs in, make sure that in the URL it has got the CTID with the guid at the end. This allows them to log into your tenant.

Once that is done, the users should always log in with their current email address. 

For example if I was a guest account in your domain I would still log in with gilbert@fourmoo.com.au even though my account in your AAD would be gilbert_fourmoo.com.au@company.onmicrosoft.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Oddly enough, the one who was having trouble, I just found out is able to login if they use explicitely: 

The onmicrosoft.com email, + their password for their @theircompany email.  Not the password that was (apparently) given to them with the onmicrosoft.com email.  I don't understand why. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors