Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Analitika
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Some data sources may not be listed because of hand-authored queries

Hello,

I would like to ask how to resolve this issue: 

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:

• Data source for Query1

In data source settings I see the following information:

Analitika_0-1651213289199.png

What is wrong with these datasources, that this warning appears and therefore I can't setup schedule refresh.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Analitika 

Is this the error you are currently encountering?

3.png

This error usually occurs when you try to connect to a data source using a dynamically generated url.

It has something to do with the data privacy settings of the parent path.

Please refer to this related blog to edit credentials.

Credentials, Data Privacy Settings And Data Sources In Power Query/Power BI 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jarkko
Frequent Visitor

The issue was never really fixed but I found a workaround that "solved" this. Problem was that the dataset which we had been using for years without problems was updating from Sharepoint. So it was never really needed to publish the report. Instead we just saved it (we since through filepath parameter dataset can be refreshed by several people if needed during holidays etc.) and reports updated automatically. Thne all the sudden something happened to this sharepoint connection.

I tried copying the Power BI file with a different name and setting up automated refresh again. First refresh was ok but after that it was not possible to update the dataset.

Solution was to do this the old way. I created a copy of the dataset with different filename and after refresh published it to our workspace. And this works., has been now working ok for 1,5 months. I am still wondering what happened to Sharepoint connection though. It worked for years with no problem and all the sudden refresh failed.

Just wanted to share this also in case someone else needs idea how to fix/find workaround for this type of problem.

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Analitika 

Is this the error you are currently encountering?

3.png

This error usually occurs when you try to connect to a data source using a dynamically generated url.

It has something to do with the data privacy settings of the parent path.

Please refer to this related blog to edit credentials.

Credentials, Data Privacy Settings And Data Sources In Power Query/Power BI 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Please try revalidating your credentials for sharepoint under Data Source settings and refresh preview. Hope it works for you.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Analitika ,

I suggest that you go to "Query 1" and look at the source for that query.  Let us know what the source is for that file

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hello,

I have now had the same problem since yesterday. Problem appeared all the sudden. I don't get any errors so I don't know where to look for solution but the reports which are connected to my Data model mdo get refreshed anymore. Yesterday morning refresh was working fine but in the afternoon not anymore. I can see the same error message in me Data source settings view. Does anyone know what could cause the issue and where to look for solution?

Hi @Jarkko ,

You said that you can see the error messages in the Data Source settings.  What does that error state?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

The issue with Sharepoint seems to be fixed after Sync was turned off and then created again. However, reports will not update still. This is strange since refreshe has worked for many years without problems and now it stopped working without notification. I found this error message from Power BI

Power BI mistake.JPG

Hello Collinq,

I get the same message that is shown in this discussion above "Some data sources may not be listed because of hand-authored queries".  The report refresh itself does not give any errors to me and this data model has worked ok for 5-6 years already.

I have been studying this a lot today and the problem is possibly not in Power BI itself -more in Sharepoint/Onedrive that does not Sync correctly with my computer. The data model that I am refreshing shows correct updated figures (on my hard drive) is supposed to be in sync with Sharepoint folder. The model from Sharepoint then automatically updates 14 different reports connected to live dataset. 

I can see for example that the data model file in my hardrive (with updated sales figures) has been updated today, 13.9.2022. But when I check the Sharepoint folder latest update was 12.9 in the morning. I have been already in contact with our company IT and they tested some magic without success and created service ticket somewhere (Microsoft perhaps)?

All good advices are appreciated and if/when I get a solution I also try to remember posting here what was the issue. Still, looks more like Sharepoint issue than Power BI actually.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors