Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Solutions for same dataset in premium and non premium workspace

Hi all!

We have 2 sets of users for our dashboards, our partners (80 accounts) and our internal users (let's say 40 accounts). I would love to get my hands on some premium-per-user licenses for our internal users, but I know IT won't want us to switch the partner accounts to premium as well due to the costs involved.

Now I have a single dataset that contains all my data, and both reports that are for our partners and for internal users use that same dataset. 

I am looking for a way to give our partners access to the same data as my internal users, but give my internal users access to premium-per-user features (more refreshes, pipelines, AML toolkit stuff) and keep our partners on the less frequent refreshes.

Has anyone done this before? Could it be achieved by triggering a copy dataset action though the rest API for example? Or are there other solutions besides just manually uploading the dataset report to 2 workspaces?

THanks in advance!
Jaap

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn ,

So, I would say that the biggest benefit to Premium is at the data level - the Premium capacity that lets you move big data (or complex data) much much faster than just PRO.  But, there are a lot of other features, and, as you state, almost all in the Service.
This site: Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI in the "Explore Plans" section explains the differences.  But, to me the service capabilities like what you can do in DataFlows and DataMarts make the Premium worth it.
To your question of "can you just hit copy" and move it - that won't work when you are going service to service.  BUT, if you do your work in Desktop and then you publish it and publish it first to a non-Premium workspace you will be limited by the normal "pro" items (like 8 refreshes a day and no dataflow and no datamart and can only share with other Pro users).  AND, if you publish again to a Premium Workspace, then you have the "premium" items that you can use and it affect how you can share.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @jaap_olsthoorn ,

You are in a catch-22 with the licensing and two types of users.  If you share a workspace that is PPU, the user's you share with have to be PPU (or Premium assigned and you stated you don't have Premium).  If you share a PRO licensed workspace, then you can't have Premium type capability in it.  So, you will have to upload two different versions of the report - one with PPU capabilities in a PPU Workspace and one with "just" PRO capabilities in a Pro Workspace.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hey Collin, thanks for your response!

I'm indeed in a pickle. I'm just wondering though, are there really any features in powerBI desktop that are Premium, or does most of the premium/pro difference happen on the service? 

Imagine that I would have a full fledged premium workspace with all the bells and whistles. And with the press of a button I copy the dataset from a premium workspace into a non-premium one. Is there anything that would break? Or would it keep working ,but with all premium features disabled. So no pipeline, fewer refreshes, no possibility for xmla endpoint stuff etc.

I'm kinda hoping I can publish to premium by default, and copy the dataset file to the pro workspace at night.

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn ,

So, I would say that the biggest benefit to Premium is at the data level - the Premium capacity that lets you move big data (or complex data) much much faster than just PRO.  But, there are a lot of other features, and, as you state, almost all in the Service.
This site: Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI in the "Explore Plans" section explains the differences.  But, to me the service capabilities like what you can do in DataFlows and DataMarts make the Premium worth it.
To your question of "can you just hit copy" and move it - that won't work when you are going service to service.  BUT, if you do your work in Desktop and then you publish it and publish it first to a non-Premium workspace you will be limited by the normal "pro" items (like 8 refreshes a day and no dataflow and no datamart and can only share with other Pro users).  AND, if you publish again to a Premium Workspace, then you have the "premium" items that you can use and it affect how you can share.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Collin, thanks for the response again.

I'll consider simply publishing to 2 workspaces then. Just feels a bit error-prone 😞

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors