Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Social media connectors?

Hello! 

From your experience, how often data sets from Social Media platforms (Facebook. TikTok, Linkedin, Instagram...) are used and why? I know these platforms have their own Analytics tools and APIs so I’m curious what are the main analysis use cases: engagement, Ads, market research, marketing KPIs ...? 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I'm happy to answer your questions. Different platforms and different fields will have different analysis use cases. I have listed some common analysis use cases below:

1. Audience Insights and Demographics:

Why: Understanding the demographics of platform users is crucial for targeted marketing and content creation.

Use Case: Analyzing user profiles, age groups, locations, interests, and behaviors to tailor content and ads.

1. Engagement Metrics:

Why: Measuring engagement helps evaluate content effectiveness and user interaction.

Use Case: Tracking likes, shares, comments, and click-through rates (CTR) to optimize content strategy.

1. Advertisement Campaign Optimization:

Why: Advertisers aim to maximize ROI by reaching the right audience.

Use Case: Analyzing ad performance metrics (impressions, conversions, cost per click) to refine targeting and bidding strategies.

1. Sentiment Analysis:

Why: Brands want to gauge public sentiment about their products or services.

Use Case: Mining social media posts for positive/negative sentiment, identifying trends, and addressing customer concerns.

1. Competitor Analysis:

Why: Understanding competitors' strategies and market positioning.

Use Case: Comparing follower growth, engagement rates, and content themes across platforms.

1. Influencer Marketing:

Why: Brands collaborate with influencers to reach wider audiences.

Use Case: Identifying influential users, assessing their impact, and measuring campaign success.

At work, each platform generates large amounts of data, which can be used for different analysis areas and purposes.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ReportMaster
Helper V
Helper V

I think that, as other comments have mentioned, depends on the company and the case. In my case, I have a small digital marketing agency and clients, almost always have social media data, 99% of the time, so we have to build reports having that in mind, and many customers want Power BI reports, no matter if there is native connection with those data sources, which is the case unfortunately. So when working with those social media connectors my easiest workaround is to use external connectors that pull data directly to PBI from sources' APIS without having to export CSV or excel files. Currently I am using windsor.ai , but I've tried some other ones too out there in the market and for me this workaround of using external connectors saves me a lot of time

v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I'm happy to answer your questions. Different platforms and different fields will have different analysis use cases. I have listed some common analysis use cases below:

1. Audience Insights and Demographics:

Why: Understanding the demographics of platform users is crucial for targeted marketing and content creation.

Use Case: Analyzing user profiles, age groups, locations, interests, and behaviors to tailor content and ads.

1. Engagement Metrics:

Why: Measuring engagement helps evaluate content effectiveness and user interaction.

Use Case: Tracking likes, shares, comments, and click-through rates (CTR) to optimize content strategy.

1. Advertisement Campaign Optimization:

Why: Advertisers aim to maximize ROI by reaching the right audience.

Use Case: Analyzing ad performance metrics (impressions, conversions, cost per click) to refine targeting and bidding strategies.

1. Sentiment Analysis:

Why: Brands want to gauge public sentiment about their products or services.

Use Case: Mining social media posts for positive/negative sentiment, identifying trends, and addressing customer concerns.

1. Competitor Analysis:

Why: Understanding competitors' strategies and market positioning.

Use Case: Comparing follower growth, engagement rates, and content themes across platforms.

1. Influencer Marketing:

Why: Brands collaborate with influencers to reach wider audiences.

Use Case: Identifying influential users, assessing their impact, and measuring campaign success.

At work, each platform generates large amounts of data, which can be used for different analysis areas and purposes.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

The answer is the generic "it depends".  Some organizations never use those.  Some use them in live streaming data. So, it depends on the need as to how often it is used.  AND, the usage depends on what is being determined.  For Marketing campaigns where you want to track sentiment the social media feeds are critical.  Sentiment is almost always a big driver for tracking social media.

But, I think you listed the main reasons in your question - engagement, research and to determine how the "marketplace" is reacting to your product/service or announcements.

It could also just to see the number of tweets or posts or mentions that your product or service is getting.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors